Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge November 2014 (25)

Replies

• Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Decided to do my own version since rope is 2 hard:

jS8Wsz5.png
  • Synen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synen polycounter lvl 7
    New update still got a few more things to add

Gen4.jpg
  • Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all!

Joining my first monthly challenge.

My progress so far.

z5rdR2k.jpg

Awesome stuff from everyone looking forward to more!
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good everyone! Here is my model, almost finished just a few more things to do :)

EcTx3is.png
  • Anomaly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anomaly polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Guys,

Also The first month I have entered so will be looking forward to it. I am a bit late but I will try to get it done.

6jfvY6S.png

Not looking forward to them ropes :(

Nice work from everyone so far can't wait to see more!
  • Synen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synen polycounter lvl 7
    New update think I am finish with the high poly model. Time to start UVing and creating the low poly, also testing it in engine to see how it looks

Gen5.jpg
    EngineTest.jpg
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just working on the unwrap. So here is part of my model a box shape, and I'm wondering if I'm doing the unwrap right or not. On the left is just the 3ds max sorted one, I usually go in then and attach it all together so there isn't any seams. Should I be doing that? Is it necessary to remove seams or should I leave the edges? I know in Unreal engine it likes to have faces separated for the light map. Let me know!

The right is my finished, the left is the start and the middle is the box shape.

8W97dXL.png
  • nanasba13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    this is my first post on polycount.
    I stumbled upon this thread yesterday, and seeing as I'm working on my portfolio at the moment, I thought I'd give it a go.
    I probably won't manage to make both the assets but here's where I'm at on the generator prop at the moment:

generator_01.jpg
  • Purge117
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all!
    Decided I am going to start the generator. This is the first challenge I have tried and was wondering if anyone has any special method gor getting the proportions of a single, perspective image right in 3ds max?
  • Purge117
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on this today. Just a quick render. Hopefully will have time to finish it before the end of the month :P
    My first challenge submission so please, any pointers are welcome.
    generator___wip1_by_hellfire117-d87ekrs.jpg
  • nanasba13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm done with the high poly model.
    Off to unwrapping...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23263&stc=1&d=1416837030

P.s. How do I get the images to show properly and not as a thumbnail?
  • wolf_rt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nanasba13, try hosting the image on imgur.com

I thought the generator looked like an interesting project to practice on, so i had a crack at it, spent around 8 hours so far. Still a few details to add.

No real clue how im going to go about unwrapping it and making a low poly at this stage, but im very pleased with how the model has turned out.

kqdPnzb.jpg

ukeIjAl.jpg

Critique:

@Holly Mellor,
    It look like you Pushed the sides of the main cylinder around, which broke its curve. Once you have made a cylinder that's going to stay a cylinder in the final product you basically cant move the sides at all.

Generally,
    I am pretty mechanicaly minded, and i hate seeing models that cant 'function'... Pretty much everyone's generator has the 'motor' on a different axis to the 'generator' This wouldn't work in real life.

I actually see the 'motor' in the concept as being offset to the side of the generator, with the chain/gear drive hidden in the artwork. I made my model accordingly.

I haven't got a game engine to put this model into, so if anyone has any tips on that front i would appreciate it. I also would welcome any advice on how to go about UV'ing the model (the low poly?)
  • Purge117
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nanasba13 wrote: »
    I think I'm done with the high poly model.
    Off to unwrapping...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23263&stc=1&d=1416837030

P.s. How do I get the images to show properly and not as a thumbnail?

Hi nanasba,
    Looking great so far :D mind if I ask what your high poly...poly count is?
    Also, to upload a picture, click on the picture icon above the text box (looks like mountains) and paste the url of the image in there. I personally put it on Deviantart and then use that to host the image online.

Hope this helps :)
  • nanasba13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm done with this asset. It took a really long and strenuous time to unwrap and get it the way I wanted, I had to separate it into 2 parts (top & bottom), but I'm happy with the outcome.
    I'm very curious to see how others have done it.

@wolf_rt, thanks for the tip ;)

@purge117, thanks! The high poly is around 9mil poly's, but that's without all the double parts...

gbMR69R.jpg?1

W793zUI.jpg
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
    Thought I would try this out as I need to learn badly and the options this month seem pretty cool :)

Here is my blockout of the stand in Maya LT

Shot_001.jpg

Shot_002.jpg

Here it is with smooth on :D

I put some edgeloops in to hold the shape before applying a smooth.

Shot_003.jpg

My plan of attack is to work in sections. I'll work on the stand first then work on the wheel and then work on the skulls and details such as ropes etc last.

Gonna start sculpting on the stand XD

Keep up the great work everyone, love the progress this forum is making so far!
  • wolf_rt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nanasba13, Great job mate. I hate UV'ing, and i really need to optimize the way i go about it, especially in regard to building to model to ease the process. It looks like you did a great job in this regard.

One thing i would pick though is the texture for the main body of the thing looks out of proportion, especially the scratches. Since the object is like 10ft tall, i cant imagine how these large scratches would have happened.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    I would tone down the spec on that ending cap just a teeny bit. Its the first thing that caught my eye.
  • wolf_rt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok... finished the high poly 1.5M polys...

Now to start making a low poly from it.

5qJS9o1.jpg
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update with textures, still quite a bit to do not happy with the look yet but its starting to get there.

aNEtjro.png
  • Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all

nanasba: Looks awesome! Great job on the scratches and that specular map looks solid.

Mats Effect: Good progress. Do you intend for it to be unpainted? Looks a little odd for it to be so reflective. Perhaps look at some references to see what effect you are trying to go for and definitely check out nanasba's one for inspiration! Looking forward to more.

Here's my update.

Split the skull in two parts to add some diversity. Finished most of the sculpt work just the ropes and a stone left to do.

sw8FW0k.jpg
  • wolf_rt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the low poly. 13,000 tris... too much for something like this?

Not really sure how to go about baking it, especially the bolts... I UV'd the Low poly bolts before copying/instancing them all, so i am assuming they all have the same UV's or are possibly just stacked in the same space...
    Does this mean that each low poly bolt still needs a high poly? or will one high poly bolt work for the lot?

will have to have a big push tomorrow to try and get all the baking and textures done, then look at how to put it in a game engine.

RQFHpT1.jpg
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    I started with sculpting the skull, then decided to do the rest. So far, here's a blockout with some details and I'm starting on the skeleton and then need to think about the rope.TQ2Wtip.jpg

KHZLUJ6.jpg

@wolf_rt 13k tris sounds fine to me seeing as its a big piece with many details. You can use a single high poly bolt to bake for the all the low poly bolts, I've done it alot myself.
  • wolf_rt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aarrgh... UV'ing... for my next trick, i will be pulling my finger nails out, rubbing sand in my eyes and going swimming in chilies.

EDIT: Well my normal may is awful but dont have the time to explode everything and figure out the dramas, i'll just have to dodgy it up a bit in photoshop i guess.
  • mats effect
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Matts Effect Looks great! That's the same approach I've taken with the brushed shiny metal too!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Holly. I did 99% of the texture with substance painter but for the bushed effect I actually made it in Photoshop was the only way I could get the look I liked.
  • Synen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synen polycounter lvl 7
    Calling this thing done.

Generator_Final.png

Genfinal.jpg

TextBreakdown.jpg
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom Mackie polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good guys - Wanna see more skelly posts though!

I got busy and fell behind, but thought it's better to finish late than never. Here's the second lamp post
    ym4ieBx.jpg
    Y9Vxuy2.jpg

Also finished the Skelly
    l195zRO.jpg
    aF3bwMp.jpg

Could do some tweaking and putting in engine still. I used Substance to hand paint it - and cheated a bit using their wooden planks preset for a base for my wooden planks. Quite happy with the result - went for stylized/cartoony n stuff

I guess as a critique, I would say there are a lot of unwraps with tiny bits and lots of space - Try and make these bigger (even if would not be to scale with other parts) and use as much UV space as possible.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Looks very nice, Tom. However I think the fiber scale on the rope needs to be a lot bigger like maybe enlarge those details like 3-4 times as their scale doesn't match the cartoony proportions of the wood.

The skulls don't really look very human, but it's probably a bit too late to fix that. I would also give the skeleton a yellow/brown tint as well (like this) as the only way the skeleton would be that white and clean would be if someone came out and polished it.

And lastly you should also try to present your textures with a lot quicker transitions or without any transitions at all as it's currently pretty hard to get a read on how your textures actually look right now.
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Nosslak! I'll have a quick stab at it...

W2cAAbO.jpg
    Yeah, I think the ropes look much better as you suggested.

bSKIwJ8.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, that's much better. However I think it'd look better if you made the base out of metal as well like the top part with the lantern. It looks like your missing a few details there as well and it could use a few more segments to smooth out the silhouette, but I understand that you might just want to move on to something different.

The texture presentation is much clearer now and looks pretty good. It's way too late now but you could've straightened out the wooden and some of the metal islands to make them (more) rectangular and much easier to pack efficiently. It's a lot easier to pack boxes than weird bananas so that's something I pretty much always do for my models even if it takes a bit longer. You'll get some stretching but as long as you aren't planning to put any text or logo or whatever there it shouldn't matter too much.
    The transition between the different textures is much better but I'd go for a straight line (potentially) crossing islands as that tends to look better IMO.
    Lastly I would remove the UV wire overlay as it shouldn't really be necessary if you've done a good job with the texturing as the wear and/or dirt would outline the islands sufficiently.
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers man, do appreciate the critique.

I'm gonna call it a day for now, but will tweak the base sometime soon, maybe even get it in UE3 with an appropriate light source. It might be easy enough to straighten out some UVs too. The texturing is basically blank/unpainted apart from the wood on the diffuse haha.