Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

[Riot Art Contest] - James Arvin

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
jarvin88 polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys,

Count me in :) I'll be using the free rig "Ultimate Bony 1.0.4" by Ugar Ulvi Yetiskin. I edited and re-fit some clothing pieces to the rig in order to help sell the character as well! Still have to rig and skin those pieces, which shouldn't be too time consuming. Figured that was easier than rigging an entire character model from scratch. Clothing/accessory credit goes to Yadoob . The animations I create will be based off a new design, with Graves/Caitlyn/Jynx as inspiration. Goodluck to everyone, excited to get goin!

- James

Latest Updates 12/15/2014:

JIgLi99.gif

A2jTmHl.gif
sB8VA6jInO37

Replies

• Jeff_Tompkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woop Woop Ill be keeping an eye on this one!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Love the costume! Can't wait to see more.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Love the look, show me show me!
  • Luckysnowshu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how much you have used this rig, but.... on the Ultimate Rigs there is a problem with the right foot. The creator did not orient the joint correctly, so you might have trouble mirroring poses
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

Got the rig finished, finally had some time to get a first pass blockout of the Run Cycle.

Note:
    +Clothing is all default skinning at this point, will get that looking good later. Animate animate animate!
    + Pouches/strap are not animated, I will also save that for last.

My Thoughts:
    1. While I like this gun position, it may not be realistic for the game when transitioning from Idle to Run. May go with a more traditional gun holding position...
    2. In polish, I want to give a little more exaggeration in the time spacing for his up positions, to give a slightly more cartoonish vibe.

@Luckysnowshu I havent had any issues so far, only with using shift to move keyframes. Kind of annoying, but i've certainly dealt with worse. Thanks for the heads up though!

Let me know what you guys think! Excited to get to the Ult attack already haha.

- James

Wsmqku1.gif

xugJEXK.gif
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

Went ahead and cleaned it all up! Overall I'm liking where its headed, still some polish points to do on it, but let me know whatcha think! Gonna take a break for now and start blocking out the ult attack.

To Do:
    1. Adjust minor clipping on weapon
    2. Adjust timing on pouches and flask
    3. Paint weights on clothing! Still default skinning, so there's a lot of clipping.

sTwToPE.gif
    Run_Cycle_Smooth.gif
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Dude this looks awesome! Not sure why but the images wont load on this page, I had to right click and open in new tab to see it.

But wow this looks really sweet! I can't wait to see this finalized. I love how clear and zippy the motion is. He's got a real spring in his step.
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome work ! the bouncing of the small objects are really wel done as well as the clothes movements. I like the "heavy" way he old his gun, maybe you can put more weight on it ?
  • UberLou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UberLou polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good! It would be nice to give the run a little more attitude. Everything is very straight on. There's so much personality in the model that I want to see in the animation too.
    For the pose, I think his right elbow should point out a little more and the gun should lay across the shoulder at more of an angle. It looks almost in line with his arm. Kind of like this http://wallpapers.filmibeat.com/ph-1024x768/2013/01/hansel-gretel-witch-hunters_1358330790.jpg
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments everyone! Really appreciate it. I fixed the timing in his step, slouched him over sideways more to emphasize the weight of the gun, turned his gun arm out at more of an angle, and added some movement to the hat. Gonna start playing around with the attack this weekend hopefully!

@Yadoob
    I messed around with different exaggerations, then thought it was too much and felt this was the happy medium.

@UberLou
    Totally agree, made some changes based off your feedback as well. Thinking I can still push him a bit further even.

A2jTmHl.gif
    Poly_Count_Gif_Second_Pass_30_FPS.gif
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the blockout for the ultimate attack! The idea here is a snipe ultimate. He throws out some bags of explosive powder, and he takes one big shot which initiates a chain of explosive reactions in a direct line, damaging enemies in its path. My concern is getting the bags to stay on screen, which is proving tricky. C & C are very welcome of course!

Also, my images seem to not load sometimes randomly, very bizarre. Please let me know if they arent working for you.

GYUvpZf.gif

287JU9r.gif

xOTd7tU.gif
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    The blockout for the turn is great! I am stoked to see you get a great little cape flourish in there.

Loving the throw pose from side view as well. Maybe work on the gun placement from Game cam to give it a bit more negative space?

Keep on rockin!
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @heboltz3 Thanks, glad you like it! Good call on trying to open up that negative space in the gun, i'll def play around with that.

Side note, does anyone know if effects are allowed in this competition? I'm noticing many others doing that, I just wasnt sure if were allowed to submit with it?
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Effects aren't really allowed as the entry states,
    Do not have any post effects or camera shakes to the piece

but I think rudimentary objects that add some umph are okay. it will probably depend on a case by case.
  • andyvargas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andyvargas polycounter lvl 5
    this is looking great! :') i think they may mean no postproduction effects or fancy rendering stuff i guess... you mean probably making those bombs to explode? it would be rad, but maybe better to add those after the competition ends? Keep it up! that sniping its just great!
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress:

Decided the attack needed more flare, so I threw in a few things :) I have also been thinking about making this attack an AOE chain rather than a line shot. What do you guys think would work better in-game? Would also like opinions on the time spacing after he catches his hat. Should I keep the slight pause, or have him go right into standing after he catches it?

@andyvargas & @heboltz3 Added some simple transparent spheres to help sell the idea behind the gunshot. Not sure if i've decided its too distracting or not yet. More to come!

To Do:
    Make final decision on attack being AOE vs. Line shot
    Animate clothing & accessories
    Adjust flying pouches
    Overall Polish.

Attack_Smooth_Test2.gif
    Attack_Smooth_Test2.gif
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice!

I think the orbs read well enough.

The hat flip and gun twirl are so LoL it hurts. Love the catch too. Great character in this!
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you think so! Now to just get those bomb pouches animated properly lol
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    :icon60: That'sa Beauty

I had to open your gifs in a new tab to get them loaded.
    Maybe there's some compatibility issues with hotlinking or that host connecting with polycount.
    In anycase, www.imgur.com has always been solid, if you're looking for another hosting option.
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words @StephenVyas ! Went ahead and reloaded all the images from imgur. Hopefully that solves the issue.
  • Aaerie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaerie polycounter lvl 3
    I love your attack animation! It has so much personality and the hat flip at the end is a really nice touch. Great job.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Loving it!!! This guy has a lot of character :) I'd play this champ! can't wait to see the final! Will you be uploading to vimeo/youtube soon?
  • Dhairyasheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dhairyasheel polycounter lvl 6
    wao that is good really good :)
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Buddy! Stoked to see your finals!
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Oh damn, that's soo cool, the hat mouvement is a great addition ! For critiscism, it seems a bit quick when he first turn around. Super nice work though ! ( and I vote for AOE btw^^)
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    haha so funny that he catches his hat, well done sir!
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks everyone! I am humbled with all the positive feedback! I had a friggin blast working on this contest. There were so many good entries and creativity coming out of this competition! I really look forward to seeing what everyone else came out with for their finals, and I wish the best of luck to everyone! Time to take a much needed break and kick back a few :) Happy friday, weekend, christmas, and new years guys :P

Oh yea, here is a comp of the animations I am submitting. Ended up going with the AOE version. Cheers!!

- James

Happy friday, weekend, christmas, and new years guys :POh yea, here is a comp of the animations I am submitting. Cheers!!- James https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAp2bsmzGsUyoutube.com/watch?v=hAp2bsmzGsU" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAp2bsmzGsU

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAp2bsmzGsU"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAp2bsmzGsU[/ame]
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anyone else having issues submitting?? uh oh.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Killer entry man! Real top notch!

I didn't have any problems submitting yesterday, but I did hear of a handful of people having to try it a couple of times before getting it right?

Good luck duder!
  • KatArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man that Shot with explosions and Cloak looks sweat, is it hand-animated by each bone in that cloak , or some kind of bone-cloth baked simulation? i'm beginner)
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KatArt thank you! Everything is hand keyed :) I thought about setting up dynamic joints for the cloth, but i figured it wouldn't look as good, and it probably wouldnt be allowed.
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Submission Issues:

I was having no luck with submissions, come to find out it was because I was trying to submit 2 zip files, which it says you can. So, if your trying to do the same and its not working, your going to have to fit it all into ONE zip file. That is how I got mine to work, just thought I'd share that with the rest of the community, hopefully save you guys some headache. Eesh. Goodluck guys!
  • Trunks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having issues submitting with just one zip file. And I've tried resubmitting quite often now. It keeps saying I have one entry but when I try to look at the link it brings me back in the submitting page.
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, did it give you the confirmation screen saying they received your entry? I read through the faq, and apparently if you made it to that screen they say it's okay, and they're working on updating it to show the file you submitted instead of a blank entry. As long as it's not having "timeout" issues, it should be okay.