Home Marmoset

Material export

eworc
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
eworc polycounter lvl 4
Next to the duplicate button on the material pane, is a menu and among other options for materials is import and export. I would like to save the scene and have the material embedded in the file itself in order to distribute. The export option of the material results in a .tbmat file. Not certain what it contains but it doesn't actually contain the bitmaps that the material in the scene uses. Any thoughts? Do the bitmaps simply need to be attached in a folder with the scene?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The .tbscene file saves all material links by default, if you want to share your scene, you don't need to export materials. Exporting materials is mostly used for transferring materials from one scene to another, or for saving into the preset material system.

.tbmat files store material settings and texture links. The material file doesn't save the actual textures but rather file references (links) to those files.

The most reliable way to share a scene or material and textures is to make sure the textures are in the same folder as the scene/material when you load them up (moving the textures after the fact will likely break the material links). Textures saved in a folder below the root directory should work as well, for example:

root/scene.tbscene
    root/material.tbmat
    root/textures/diffuse.tga

^ all of that should work fine

However, something like:
    root/project/scenes/scene.tbscene
    root/materials/textures/diffuse.tga

That will likely break when you try to share it. The easiest way to test this is save your files, and then move the files to a different location on your computer, if they still load up correctly, you're good to go.

I hope this helps.
  • eworc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eworc polycounter lvl 4
    Yes, it did. Thank you.

Another question. The image width/height of the capture seems to use the screen window versus a file output. Example, below is the default 1920x1080p (60% reduced) and then changing it to 1334x750 (60% red) and it just cuts the screen size versus resizing. Will there be an option in the future for the capture setting size to be more like a render size or that's simply not how this works since the render is realtime and on the screen..i think you know what I am getting at. IOW, the only way to have a specific output size that doesn't box out the render of the scene, excluding part of it is to simply render the output window size and then modify it latter in photoshop type software?
    That being said, in a future update, having the screen size show would help in setting the capture image accordingly so as to not have an image bigger than needed nor cut out scene data by making the size too small. By the way, I purchased MT2 a few days ago and really enjoy it. It should help improve my workflow alot. [EDIT] The Feedback&Suggestion thread has some similar requests, which I would agree with adding...but I think a visual rep of the current screen size that the output would be would also be helpful. I'll add the suggestion in that thread.

kIugz4W.jpg

FRsQrfZ.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, you are correct, currently there is no way to visualize the exact output size in the viewport. Right now the only way to set up your framing correctly for aspect ratios that are significantly different than your monitor's aspect ratio is by trial and error.

This is something that bothers me as well, and hopefully we will be able to add some sort of safe frame or region preview option to a future version of Toolbag.

Thanks for the feedback!