Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Last Bastion Project - Feedback

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
tpoveda polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys, this is my first thread here in Polycount!

I'm working on a college project creating a 3D game with some mates. I am working in the art of the game. Our group is called Fracture Games (we have to create a fictional game company :)

The game we are working is called The Last Bastion. An action/adventure game ambiented in a medieval fantasy world where you have to defend a magical crystal from you enemies. That crystal is inside a town which you will be able to improve (you will start with simple stones barriers, then you will be able to buy wood and so on...).

Currently, I'm working on the logo of the game. My main idea was to create a logo that would have all the important parts of the game (the crystal, a sword symbolizing the battle with your enemies, different materials symbolizing the possibility to improve your town, ...).

I have used ZBrush, Maya and Photoshop.

This is the actual logo:

Logo%20The%20Last%20Bastion%20Completo.jpg

I know it can be improved in all aspects but what part of the logo particularly you would change?

Thanks a lot!

PD: Sorry for my English! :-P

Replies

• DWalker
    I'd pick one material for the words. Having each line in a different material looks forced.

The sword doesn't really fit. A missile weapon - spear or arrow - would make more sense, but then you couldn't fit the name. A spear with the name on a banner could work, but, really, do you need the company name there?

I totally missed the crystal until I read your description; I thought it was just some sort of odd highlight. You could make it larger and more recognizable and place it behind the text, but... does it need to be there? With logos, less is usually better.

The background is a bit confusing. I can't tell quite what is behind the text.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Going to try to flex my graphic design muscles here:

Rules of thumb you should abide by generally:

Logos should not be using mroe than two fonts, and ideally should only be using one.

Crystals are the highest value, and brightest hue, of the logo and immediately distracts my attention. Either incorporate somehow into the letters, or leave them. They're useless to me.

Think ahead. What if you need to make a simple black and white version of your logo? Does this iteration of the logo make it easy, and cheap, to print it on Tshirts, business cards, stationary, etc?

Stick to one concept. You have less than a split second to communicate to me what your game is about, and you've decided to use more than one. This makes me upset as a designer and confused and uninterested as a consumer because it looks cluttered and busy.

For example:

DOTA 2

- the logo symbolizes the shape of the battlefield: two sides, and a river inbetween. And it's easily transferrable into a simple graphic)
    dota-2-logo.jpg

EVOLVE

- A game where 4 hunters fight 1 huge monster

1) E V O L vs E
    2) EVOL vs E

3) EVOL V E

4) EVOLVE

Communicated what the game is in a very simple graphic. Notice as well, collectively, the EVOL and last E red squares are the same size. They're evenly mateched even if numerically difference sides.
    19fdnf6yei8v6png.png

I recomend going a graphic design approach and forego this 3D sculpt version of your logo. I made that mistake before with a game called THe Maestros and it was a huge waste of time.

Think graphic design. Think easy read. Think visual communication.

Given your description, I'd focus on a logo that utilies only the crystal, and at best, the crystal encased in reinforced something. Maybe the other letters are protecting the crystal.
  • tpoveda
    Offline / Send Message
    tpoveda polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, thank you for all that feedback :)
    DWalker wrote: »
    The sword doesn't really fit. A missile weapon - spear or arrow - would make more sense,
    I didn't use that kind of weapons because in our game the character will be able to use only swords, but I will speak with my mates to change that :)
    DWalker wrote: »
    With logos, less is usually better.
    Definitely, thats true. I'm going to start again, simplifying the logo.
    I recommend going a graphic design approach and forego this 3D sculpt version of your logo. I made that mistake before with a game called THe Maestros and it was a huge waste of time.
    Very useful quick graphic design class :) I'm going to follow your recommendations. Today I'm going to create some quick sketches of the new idea (I like a lot your idea of using only the cristal). I have learnt a lot doing this little project and I hope that with some modifications I will be able to use it in another part of the project (maybe in the cover of the game).

Thanks again guys!