Home› Contests & Challenges Archives› Riot Art Contest› Riot Art Contest - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest]-Ewing

Well, against my better judgement, and knowing full well that with a new job(not in games tragically) I will not likely finish, I think I will give it a shot!

AMAZING stuff so far from everyone, really inspiring as always.

Changed my turret design, really want to work on my sculpting skills, so I am switching to another idea I had for a big bear holding a tree. Current state of the sculpt (Im really new to sculpting so all feedback most welcome!)

BEAR_5_zpsdca80249.png

Concept for turret (paintover of lowpoly with finger, ipad, and about 45 seconds)

bear_ingame_1_zps8433cf10.jpg

Lil' concept for the creep den.

dark_hovel_zps7291519c.jpg

Creep Den Mock-up WIP

hovel_process_1_zps6677190b.png

Replies

• Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also did some rock sketches based on some of the rock forms in the supplied material, trying to pull something together for a turret design. Nothing feels right yet. Might do something in a similar vein to the creep den.

rocks_zps9d18f6ee.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    these are fantastic! awesome work on the creep den :D
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much!

Also just did a couple quick concepts for the turret. Still not sure where I want to go with it, but I'm getting there. Looking forward to more feedback.

turrets_zps5dbd4d57.jpg
  • Perzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perzik polycounter lvl 5
    Very cool concepts ! The witch is my favorite one <3
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I think the witch has potential, but I really like big bulky shapes, so I decided to refine the 2nd turret first, here's a second attempt (still very rough).

turret_2_zpsbe01fa73.jpg
  • dschmidt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dschmidt3d polycounter lvl 6
    oooo turret take 2 is nice. I like that. :)
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!

Yea I'm pretty pumped on the idea, did a few different base sketches, feeling settled and ready to jump into modeling. :)

As always, feedback is most welcome!

turrets_2_base_zps976b3a83.jpg
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started box modeling and threw on a couple levels of subdivision to see where it's at.

Still need to model the base and crystals in its hands, but feeling good about the face detail before any sculpting. Before subdivision i was sitting at around 500 tris, so I just got lucky with my forms carrying through. Should be ready for sculpt by tonight. Overlays of the ingame shots to follow.

process_render_1_zpscf55fb7a.png
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IN-GAME MOCKUP!

Starting the sculpt (Im terrible at sculpting, so this will take me the most time for sure) but looking forward to some feedback before I get too far gone.

iNGAME_RENDER_1_zpsbf096b68.jpg
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Hey, that's pretty cool! I think the horns should be stone like in the concepts, or maybe gold. Otherwise they start to take away from the crystals that are actually doing the firing.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, great design man
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for feedback guys!

I agree that the horns being the same color as the crystal detracts from the crystal as a focal point, but I do want to include some crystal in other parts of the turret ( wow I said crystal a lot). I also think the thing needs some armor, just to make it feel a little more sturdy and permanent. Heres a few quick sketches. Thoughts needed!

armor_ideation_zpsf44ca360.jpg
  • hypronost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hypronost polycounter lvl 6
    I really like this concept. And great work on the execution so far.
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hypronost Thanks man! I LOVE mushroom teemo, great concept. Keep it up!

So,after trying a few dozen armor ideas and feeling like nothing really meshed, I went back to some character development and worked on developing a story around the turret, and why its there. The idea I am running with now is that the turret is an elemental, hewn from rock and crystal, that has been bound into servitude and is forced to act as a guardian in summoners rift. As such, I worked on a few different ideas for shackles and yokes, and came up with a big stone yoke that wraps around his body and binds him to his spot as a turret. I think some chains might be needed also, but I am going to jump into some sculpting and see where I land with the pieces already there. I really dont want to have so much going on that I lose the essence of his form.

Feedback welcome!

The paintover is a sloppy 10 minute job, but I *think* the idea is clear enough?

iNGAME_RENDER_2_zpsc874d8ff.jpg
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying something very different with the base. I gave it some legs, and made the yoke around his neck extend down into the abyss. Not much time to work on this today,so it is a quick mockup, but I'm interested to see which general direction people prefer!

iNGAME_RENDER_3_zps67be254e.jpg
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, lots of changes and iterations later, I feel like I am settled on my turret design. I really liked the way my original concept floated, but I didn't want to stray so far from the vibe of summoner's rift that it felt out of place, so I reined it in and went with a more "conventional" guardian, really pushing big shapes and a sense of solid-ness, and keeping the silhouette a little closer to what is in game.

Looking foward to some feedback.

iNGAME_RENDER_4_zps9e516dd8.jpg
  • Leto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turret looks cool man, just make sure it stays structural enough that it's not visually competing with the characters!
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Leto Thanks! I agree completely that the turret could easily compete with character models, since it has such a complete humanoid form now. I was planning to use a pretty limited color pallet, mostly in undersaturated browns and greys with relatively few pops of color to give it plenty of "visual rest".

Any other suggestions on how to make it more "structural"?

Took a 15 minute break from coding at work (hurts meh brain after a while) to start a low poly mockup of the dark hovel. NOT EASY with a laptop track pad. Lesson learned. Added more rooflines, made it a little more "old lady who lived in a shoe" than "hobbit hole".

As always, feedback welcome!

For whatever reason this mockup really reminds me of splash mountain @ Disneyland. Hopefully it wont turn out savagely racist like the ride.

hovel_process_1_zps6677190b.png
  • WorldMaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WorldMaker greentooth
    i made some overpaint. Just my feeling. Better turn his head coz from
    this camera view we dont see his face.
    6b6318b41f02ffe49c9d5e8f2d3b533a.jpg

and yes))))) i can not imagine that. . . so sry
    xD
    72e5daeadc128278136e31f248875263.jpg
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh my god. It is truly a tragedy that we aren't allowed to collaborate for this, or I would be dropping everything to make a magic penis turret. GLORIOUS.

Also, yes I agree on the head, I didnt have my camera angle set up correctly when I was initially modeling, so I found a few things to tweak yesterday once I got it all lined up, the head being the most glaring issue.

Thanks for the paintover! Definitely my new desktop wallpaper @ work...
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

So my MAIN goal for myself with this contest is really incorporating as much sculpting into my workflow as possible.

Right now my workflow is low poly model--> unwrap-->texture paint.

I NEED my workflow to be lowpoly-->sculpt-->retopo-->bake some stuff-->texture paint. When I went to GDC this year that was the biggest feedback I got from both the polycount community and everyone in the booths.

That said, I am completely changing my turret idea to something that I can spend a lot of time sculpting, and has a more organic shape.

new idea is a big stone bear with a wooden staff growing out of his platform that will actually hold the crystal.

Sketch is really rough, just wanted to get the idea out there.

Feedback always welcome.

bear_zps22abbf02.jpg
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low poly mockup done, now on to sculpting.

The colors are just to make the different pieces clear, the final will be all stone, except the plants at the base, the wood tree/staff thing, and the banner on the belt.

bear_ingame_1_zps8433cf10.jpg
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turret sculpt update.

1st time really using mudbox as part of my workflow. I have doodled in it before, but without fully understanding the tools I found it pretyy frustrating. Lots of tutorials later, so far so good! pretty intuitive now.

All feedback welcome!

BEAR_5_zpsdca80249.png