Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

College Project: Four 3D Low Poly Models and VG Remix

Hello there!

For a college project, I was tasked with creating four Industry standard, low poly, 3D models. Each model was to have a maximum tri count of 500 and use a single 512px texture map.

The models could be of any item so long as there was:

1. Melee weapon
2. Ranged weapon
3. An item of clothing
4. An item from home.

I had to make concepts for each of the items above, excluding the item from home, and then create it. Each of the models had to be of my own design and not copied from a game or TV series.

My Models

1. Melee Weapon

I didn't particularly want to create a sword as that's rather generic and relatively easy to do, instead, I wanted to create something with a bit of weight behind it, Something bulky and heavy. So why not model an anvil on a stick and call it an Anvil-Hammer?

First I created some silhouettes to see which design I liked the most.

QYlDtfK.png

Then moved onto a front, side and top down view, along with a 3D sketch.

7AYvQ9d.png

Finally, I modelled it and created the texture map.

WnYKquH.png
[SKETCHFAB]74821a5e1f64462facb4db73fd79f67b[/SKETCHFAB]

I realise the rope around the anvil doesn't make any logical sense, it was a last minute thing to meet the 500 tri limit.

2. Ranged Weapon

As above, I created some silhouettes and chose the bow design I liked the most. I wanted something elven or sleek looking, as if it had been carved from a gem stone.

1KUOq5O.png
R000IlA.png
n70IP1Y.png
[SKETCHFAB]03b6746466ad43fd98d4786bee1dfb08[/SKETCHFAB]

3. An Item Of Clothing

What better item of clothing than a barbarian helmet? It's a fairly simplistic shape and I felt as though I could make a really good helmet with some nice horns to go with it.

oE3LGKc.png
3hzxd7i.png
qeqnXX1.png
[SKETCHFAB]914c1225b3fc4b12b2f4010ae70084c2[/SKETCHFAB]

4. An Item From Home

I wasn't sure what to do for this one at first, the brief said it could be any item from home, so long as I could bring it in to model at the college. It occurred to me that early 2013, I bought the collectors edition of Bioshock Infinite, along with a replica of the Skyhook which is currently sat on my shelf.

92763b.jpg.jpg

As I started to model this, I soon realised that 500 tris was nowhere near enough. I had only just completed the back end and was at ~700 tris. I really had to simplify the whole thing by making very rough cuts and edges, I kept telling myself that so long as you can tell what it is by first looking at it, it doesn't need to be exact. After a few hours, this is what I came up with:

cS7ruwp.png
[SKETCHFAB]dce46567c81d4ff990feab9d1f5aabe5[/SKETCHFAB]

VG Remix Assignment

This assignment differs slightly from the original contest, I'm allowed to make any object or scene piece using 100 tris and any hero piece using 500 tris. Each object can only have a 256px texture and each hero can have a 512px texture. There's no limit on how many objects I'm allowed to create.

When I was first tasked with this, my first thought was to re-create Minas Tirith from Lord of the Rings but Maybe that was a little bit overboard. Instead, I decided to model "The Stairs of Khazad Dum". The collapsing stairs in Moria where the Balrog is chasing the fellowship of the ring.

I started blocking out the scene in rough shapes and started creating the set pieces:

[SKETCHFAB]02ed5b611e124287827fcbf5a6285c8c[/SKETCHFAB]

Then I started to work on each of the members of the fellowship.
As each hero could only have a maximum of 500 tris, and I had never modelled a human before, I found this rather tricky. Eventually, I managed to get a model which somewhat looked like Gimli and then used that model as a base to model the others, changing bits and pieces as I went.

[SKETCHFAB]15692a8f1c8f4ee8ac1af3e088a0859b[/SKETCHFAB]

As I had first started with Gimli, I figured I would texture him first.
HZMtUDw.png
[SKETCHFAB]4a1bef0dbb53462ea9fd8d57de16e70e[/SKETCHFAB]

So far, this is all I currently have, I'll keep this thread updated as I go.
If anybody has any feedback, I'd love to hear it. =D