Home General Discussion

Texture Loopable (Seamless) High Quality Repeat Problem

Hello guys
I have high quality textures, which are perfectly loopable (seamless), but the problem is that when they are applied on the mesh, and looping, it looks that this texture is looped, it doesn't look high quality as the rest of the scene, it looks looped.
May i didn't explained correctly.
I have some textures which are seamless, and when looping it does not look the same textures repeated more time, but I have other few textures which looks repeated.
I don't know how to fix this, i tried bry cropping and remaking it seamless, but it still looks repeated.
I tried to make more uniform color (less color difference noticable) but it still look the same, and mess up the texture quality.
What should I do to fix this?
How can i make a PERFECTLY LOOPABLE SEAMLESS TEXTURE LOOP WHICH DOES NOT MAKE THE USER NOTICE THE REPEATIVE OF THE SAME TEXTURE??????
All ideas would be greately apprecitated?
Thanks.
newDev

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    putting it simply: you can't.

the only way you can really get away with it is to break up the tiles with some overlay painting of a secondary texture.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAdvancedTextures.html

there are some good tipps on how to achieve that

but if you want to achieve this without any tricks, only through your texture you need to keep things pretty uniform and balanced

the paint programm krita has a nice function where you can enable a wraparound function
    with this your texture gets tiled and you can still paint on it.
    so you can see how its looks tiled while painting, which is pretty awesome for tileable textures (it updates while you paint)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ICGks0-InQ
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    vertex painting, decals, mesh objects scattered around to break up the tiling, even lighting can play a part in breaking up tiling textures if you have interesting shadows casting on it and also using colored lights creating different hues and contrast across a surface.

Scale of the texture can also play a part in noticing tiling. If you're trying to tile 4 bricks over a huge wall you'll notice it way more than if you had a texture with 50 bricks. In that case texture resolution could become a factor. But it's a give/take relationship.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    putting it simply: you can't.

the only way you can really get away with it is to break up the tiles with some overlay painting of a secondary texture.

well, technically thats true,
    but you can achieve a result that doesnt look repeated
    always depending on the material and viewing distance (and texture size you are using)
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Tiling artifacts are (usually) a result of contrast in the texture, either because it's got noticeable differences in color/value or because certain shapes in it are particularly distinctive. Getting rid of it is easy, you just find the high contrast parts and stamp them out.

Usually this is a bad idea because you just end up with a really bland texture.

Back in 2002 that might have been a good trade-off, but it's not really the case any more. Like everybody else said, the best thing to do is blend multiple sets of textures together.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Tiling artifacts are (usually) a result of contrast in the texture, either because it's got noticeable differences in color/value or because certain shapes in it are particularly distinctive. Getting rid of it is easy, you just find the high contrast parts and stamp them out.

Usually this is a bad idea because you just end up with a really bland texture.

Back in 2002 that might have been a good trade-off, but it's not really the case any more. Like everybody else said, the best thing to do is blend multiple sets of textures together.

This also isn't strictly true. the contrast in a texture doesn't have to be stamped out. It just has to be made less noticeable. If anything you should aim to have things repeat in a way that seems natural.

I've done this in the past before there were such things as overlay textures. A handy filter in Photoshop to use is the high pass filter. This does tend to make images bland but it can be a useful indicator of which features of the photo need to be adjusted.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    the contrast in a texture doesn't have to be stamped out. It just has to be made less noticeable.
    That's pretty much what I was saying

I meant stamp it out figuratively, like stamping out a fire, not like use the rubber stamp tool
  • pior