Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

[Riot Art Contest] - L

Hi guys !

I think I will work on Morgana animations, but I'm not sure yet.
Currently, I'm searching for a rig with wings but maybe I will use a personnal rig ( I didn't find anything on the internet for the moment ).

Replies

• Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

I will use the free rig " Mery " on which I added wings.
    I think I will come back with a WIP soon :)

rig.jpg
  • Bhelir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bhelir polycounter lvl 3
    wew!
    can't wait to see what you're gonna do! :D
  • Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my first WIP on the attack animation ( for morgana :) )
    Any comments or advices are welcome ! :)

morgana_attack_top_down_animated.gif

morgana_attack_profil_animated.gif

morgana_attack_front_animated.gif
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I'm thinking if it could ease in and out even more when she reaches the height peak
    maybe even hover ahead even further at the end as she settles down
    but really nice :D
  • Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Evanescfan :D
    It is the blocking lienar, so I didn't really work the ease in and ease out but I will follow your advice :)
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's blocking??
    well, looking good already :D
  • Animator_Ari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start. I'm using Mery also! Fun rig.

Quick suggestions. Maybe have her fly back a touch, to anticipate the dive? Also at the peak of the anticipation you could insert a nice pose. Lastly maybe an extra few wing flaps and time at the end?
  • Dhairyasheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dhairyasheel polycounter lvl 6
  • Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedbacks :D

Evanescfan : Thank you again, you make me happy :p

Animator_Ari : Tank you ! Sure Mery is an awesome rig, I love it :)
    Hoo interesting suggestions, I like it ! I will work on the three ;)

Dhairyasheel : Thank you :D
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    This is super cool! I was going to say the same as Ari about a few tweaks you could make.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work so far! Everyone loves a divebomb.

Only comment I can make is that from game-cam its tough to notice all the verticality that she gains.

I think if you can push the poses to really make it super apparent that "I am going up" then I will have no complaints.

Neat stuff!
  • Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster : yeah thank you :D I will make these tweaks soon ;)
    hebotlz3 : Tanks :) I was thinking the same thing as you about the game-cam and I didn't know how to figure the problem. I will try to push the pose and see what it looks like ;)

Thanks again :)
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarvin88 polycounter lvl 3
    Great start, Blocking looks solid! It would be nice to see her arc back up at the end to help the overall motion of the animation, then land back on the ground with some nice wing overlap. Just a suggestion of course :) Excited to see where this goes!
  • Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you jarvin88 :D I'll try to apply your advice ( even if the wings will overlap later when the linear will be finish ^^)
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Keep it up! Plenty of feedback to go on.
    Something that I might do differently would be to have a really quick fly-through and use the broken ground and maybe a few falling feathers to show the audience where she once was.

So:
    - Fly up
    - Hold
    - Ease into dive
    - One or two keys for fly through
    - Ease into the stop
    - Falling feathers behind her
  • Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you PeteHawk !

I will try to accelerate the fly-through soon.
    I like the idea of use the broken ground and falling feathers, I think I will do that, but after my linear animation is finished.
  • Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update, animation is always in linear.
    I tried to apply the advices that you told me.
    I made the three views that are asked at the end of the contest but : I really don't like the front view, any ideas to improve that ?

Any comments or advices are welcome, again ;)

morgana_attack_side_animated2.gif

morgana_attack_front_animated2.gif

morgana_attack_top_down_animated2.gif
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the final pose; let her arms be pretty much the same as they were stretched out a few frames before, only pushed backwards slightly, and a little down, like she's ready for any incoming attack

the final 2 wing flaps; let the first flap be faster than the second, and let the second ease out till the end

The feet seem to rotate down to earth too quickly, I think it'll help if her base lefts up sooner(after the halt), making room for her leg to drop.

I also think the wings need to be appear more "secondary" animation in some cases, they seem a bit stiff (especially in the spin before she charges)

Keep 'em coming!
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work so far.

Im going to ramble on about the antic (start) a bit.

I think your timing is almost there, but theres a few fundamental things that will really help it from the start. First off, Id suggest keeping those wings in close until the "a-ha"/ apex pose and then really spreading them out nice and flush. This will re-enforce the vertical movement and it will also give a nice read.

Secondly I think she is doing a wind up after the Apex, pose, but it reads as if she starts her attack and there is no movement. You might want to rotate her backwards ( feet forward, upperbody back, think baseball pitcher throwing a massive fastball) and have that lead into the dash.

Keep up the good work, love the iteration you are running through with this.
  • UberLou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UberLou polycounter lvl 4
    Nice effort put in here. If i can offer some critique - look at the side view, her path is very "L" shaped. Almost straight up, hits a wall, then straight down and to the right. She almost looks like she faceplants into the ground. Make her travel a nice graceful curved path.
    From the front, there is almost no side to side motion. You can make her go up and to the right, then drift left, and then dive back to center. Also, her wings should make a nice swirling shape from this view. Sort of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE82aBbdEfE#t=25 around 25 seconds in.
    The poses can also use some contrast. Maybe, open her up really big before the dive, then shoot down and make her look sleek like an arrow, then open up again when she stops.
    Hope that helps. Keep up the good work.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Similar to what UberLou said. Work on your arcs. Here's some ideas:
    morganacrit1_by_petro_hawczak-d85czip.gif
    morganacrit2_by_petro_hawczak-d85czot.gif
  • Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all the feedbacks :o I take note of all and I will work on it !
    It is very helpfull to have theses advices :)
  • Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't post for a long time, but here's my new WIP on the attack. I tried to apply the advices you gave me in the previous post.

C&C are welcome ;)

morgana_attack_top_down_animated3.gif

morgana_attack_profil_animated3.gif