Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Distric 19

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
First: I have failed at least twice doing threads & updating, but not this one, I kinda swear :D

As I'm looking for my first job in the video game industry(eu), so I'm doing this. Enjoy and feel free to help me. This is a "near" future city, specifically the District 19, an old and dusty place.

-At 24 of oct I just have a couple of days working on this, almost all is wip. And I've started by a metro station.

4VDkg4m.jpg

IoJsMD1.jpg

D2r0a5a.jpg

I have 2 atlas of normals(1024x1024), (in this example one obviously using just 1...), and I'll try to not use more. With master materials, some detail normals and dirty masks.

Replies

• tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, working in the inside of the wagon, and a bit outside, roof and windows:
    fSpJnyk.jpg
    gf9TziM.jpg

Also for the lights I'm using the method by Liam Tart to match the emisive of the lights to the actual lights.
    And in max I have 45 objects because the train in nearly fully modular, so I can change the lenght, more windows-seats per doors etc... and well notfinished yet
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. Just a quick crit. In the three cities I visit fairly often (north-east), all of the subway lines have those yellow dots next to the subway, not pushed back like you have.
  • tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update: made a new base floor, also polished one master material, and started adding more detail to the wagon..

@beefaroni I used this photo for that part of the floor [link]

but it's true that in a lot of metro stations are closer to the train, not sure exactly what to do

yeEUYUj.jpg

the floor is pretty simple, a normal and an AO, just a base to put objects on.

FOgEZw5.jpg
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Hmm. Just a quick crit. In the three cities I visit fairly often (north-east), all of the subway lines have those yellow dots next to the subway, not pushed back like you have.

Oh man, I was trying to art to figure out what was bothering me. This, I knew something was off.

Also - Push your lighting more man!!

looking good so far.

I'd suggest pushing the seat model a little bit more, even if they are simplistic, the seats are very blocky I think it's killing the interior.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    To piggyback on Ootrick, could you upload a ref sheet for the train-station and train (even if it's small).

I feel like you'd be better off modeling your train and station off of like a NYC subway or something. The hand-rails in NYC subways are super interesting because of their subtle curves (in my opinion). Also, I believe Liam Tart posted some subway ref that he used in his Alien inspired scene. There are definitely more interesting shapes in train cars!!
  • tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ootrick I think you're right the seats are kinda poor, I'll work on that, and I didn't work in the light yet, just a directional and some movables, so no baked lighting

also I stopped a bit with the train and the station to get a bit more perspective, while I've been doing a bit of the city on top of the station O.o

@beefaroni here you have my refsheet, I've put together and with a little comment, also I'm using the metro wagons of my city that are pretty new

M6NAE8J.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. If you have the time, I'd maybe combine metro interiors. For example, here is NYC's subway interior. I think the bars that curve and stuff are way more interesting.

Empty_subway_in_NYC.jpg
  • tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I've just get a job as 3d modeler in my city so I'm going to stop for a while, but I'm going to save the images to further references, thanks guys!

Fran
  • JamesBrady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far! watching this space!