Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Material Study [CE]

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
So decided to make some material study before jumping in the Riot Contest. Always wanted to see what CE would pull of.

Rules:

I was trying to see what I could "pull out" of CE with only using shader parameters. That is why:

1-) Only one random texture from google. Use PS to iterate necessary normal and displacement maps from it.

2-) Use only shader parameters and simple sunlight in a level. No special key lighting set up to make them more beatiful.

3-) Try to discover and play.

I managed to "fake" a weak cell shading, though it is barely visible.

Also as a side effect I made an artificial heart with Vertex Deformation :D

Here are some examples. AS always C&C is more than welcome.

IgOoWjj.jpg

Ksg7Yjt.jpg

co0wv9e.jpg

C4p3g8j.jpg

MZu8vMs.jpg

q2YPY0d.jpg

hN1jbbn.jpg

0DjWLKn.jpg

lUVF9Yk.jpg

6XsW4Ud.jpg

ltb2vVr.jpg

kTx4S0g.jpg

JWtBsM8.jpg

e3dBJbY.jpg

bHvmZvH.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A65rWpEL8U"]CryHeart - Vertex Deformation in CryEngine - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    What's your ref for these?

First off I think the skin looks great! The rest off your materials are pretty much all over the place.

I get that the red thing is cloth, but that's just cause of the folds. It's fairly shinny all over. Add detail normal for fibers if it's nylon or work more with the fuzzy settings if it's something else.

The metallic grates material (the first one after the skin) have really bad compression that drags it down. The normalmap is very lousy as well. When it comes to PBR a lot of information relies on your normal and it's just not holding up.

The material after the metal grates is very undefined. Is it supposed to be metal? Cloth? Concrete?

Again, normalmap is key. Some of the extrusions doesn't even have bevels on them? What I see is a bad normalmap with a high specular fresnel value. Nothing seems to happen in the gloss, no real variation what so ever to be honest.

The first wood is waaaaay to grainy, from the looks of it both albedo and detail normal? The second wood is way to shinny and evenly bumpy all over. No separation between the shellac and exposed wood at all..

The first rock surface have concave "flats", more like a salt cube you see in cows licking on. You can tell that it's just passed trough Crazy bump or what ever. The shapes downs't make much sense.

The second stone material is a bit better but is still lacking in flow on the rock surface.

All of that may sound extremely harsh, but common. You need to analyze your materials and try to mimic them the best you can. Most of these feels extremely rushed and most normalmaps seams to come from one pass of crazy bump without any real thought put behind it. Continue on these and work with feedback, put up your references so the we understand what exactly you'r aiming for.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah you are right. I should have written what I was trying to do.

I was trying to see what I could "pull out" of CE with only using shader parameters. That is why:

1-) Only one random texture from google. Use PS to iterate necessary normal and displacement maps from it.

2-) Use only shader parameters and simple sunlight in a level. No special key lighting set up to make them more beatiful.

3-) Try to discover and play.

As to references... there is no references :D I just worked on it as long as I could. Put it around while working, getting feedback working on it a bit more.

I will edit my post to prevent any more misunderstanding. Thanks for the feedback

EDIT: By the way thanks to you I realized something about myself.

I suck at presenting my stuff.

I need to fix this bad habbit. I guess I will start a thread at General Discussion about this. Please come over there too.

Thank you
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    So what do you want to achieve with these? What's your goal here? To understand materials better or just see what happens when you use shaders wrong?

Judging from your other work I can tell that you have a problem with recreating believable materials. If game art is something you wanna make in to a career I would suggest you sit down with refferences, make break downs, learn how the shaders work and then create materials and you'll be proud of. You won't take your 3D skills anywhere "playing around". Just saying.