Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Queen of the Dead

Hi all,

As part of a University project brief, a group of me and three others were required to make a scene based on the phrase 'King of the Dead'. It was a two week project, and required a character, throne and backdrop all set up in Unreal 4.

In an attempt to try something different, my team decided to make a little scene based on a small child playing violent video games. My role in the group was to work on the character and work in-engine to create the final composition/lighting.

To keep the theme fairly light, we stuck to a pixar-like style, something I've never really tried properly before and was definitely... and experience.

Here are a couple of concepts I sketched up to work from:

3HwtRYm.jpg

Wrog7oh.jpg

Getting the proportions correct on the character was the first major challenge. As I've already said, this wasn't a style I'm used to and wasn't 100% confident in how to render her.

acZyYQQ.jpg

Since I had only a week to get the character to a suitable quality, and since the character didn't have to move, I sculpted her in position sitting down. This made rigging a far quicker process.

gDxHPOh.jpg

I retopolagised the sculpt back in 3DS Max and baked the details onto the low poly model.

PQ5O3Vt.jpg

JgGvrIU.jpg

Since 3DS Max has no PBR support, I ended up texturing in engine. It's also at this point that my group's assets started pouring in, and I needed to start putting the environment together. The final scene looked like this:

i2aTfy8.jpg?1

SBnehE9.jpg?1

NMvTH89.jpg?1

9kPS59i.jpg?1

jX9GphD.jpg?1

kEAj1uK.jpg?1
---

Since the task is over and I have a little more time, I thought'd I'd do a little improving of the character for some nice renders, rigged and everything. This also gives me a chance to fix proportions and the face, which I believe to be a little 'Alien-like'. Unfortunately, this also means I have to re-sculpt the clothes.

SK8Lt3N.jpg

While sculpting, I was directed to an image by a friend of a young Korra from 'Legend of Korra'. They recommended the pot-belly look, since it really added character to the piece and helped the sculpt look a little less bland.

1060339_1340583896778_full.png

I quickly used the move tool in Zbrush and sketched out some folds.

FEfCjb5.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm open for any kind of crit both on the scene, or where I'm taking the character. I'm not entirely sure which direction to go, so any help would be great. While the project is officially over, it would still be nice to give it a little more polish where necessary.

Cheers

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    The character looks adorable, though her face looks a lot older than her body does.

Your lighting is kinda all over the place and muddles the composition. As a rule, you want to have one source of light be clearly dominate, and any other lights be supporting. Right now you have the TV, lamp, and door all at roughly the same level.
  • fab-camp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fab-camp polycounter lvl 6
    I go with Meloncov...
    maybe you could go with a strong lighting form the television-screen. If you have a clear dominant lightsource you can pull up the overall lighting level revealing more of your scene without losing that late-in-the-night feel.
  • Ben_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique. After playing around with the face a bit, I can see what Meloncov means about the face looking a little too old. I believe that have something to do with the overall sharpness, so I tried to soften the features and make the eyes a little less pointy.

Vyl0aJj.jpg

Fixing the lighting has been some real trouble. While I don't want to muddle the composition with too much lighting, I'm also having trouble not making the scene too dark and not seeing most of the assets/materials. I've tried turning all but the dominant light-sources down slightly, and while the change is subtle, I'm hoping it works a bit better, or at least heading in the correct direction. Lighting is an area I feel I'm weaker at and hoping to improve.

413k7D9.jpg

Cheers