Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

Rengar vs Kha'Zix

Hello, I am a huge fan of junglers in LoL and I find the tension between Khazix and Rengar to be a great story to illustrate. so here is my stuff so far.

1. sketch and decide where to go?type=3&theater.qGxK3IK.jpg

2. Getting stuff rolling with Rengars armor and what Id like the lighting to be like.?type=3&theater6ulR44r.jpg

3.Doing more rengar work ?type=3&theatergbkzn0F.jpg

4. Doing some Khazix ?type=3&theaterhM04Ift.jpg

5. Putting in the detail, shadows, lights. ?type=3&theaterXpg5yO4.jpg

6.Trying to get the backround and feel to a more epic shodown kinda feel. ?type=3&theaterjMvGNIP.jpg

And thats all I got so far.

Replies

• Grimmcore
    any good input would be great, just looking to evolve my skills.
  • Grimmcore
    So I left Rengar and Khazix for awhile and started to do some other stuff, I was thinking about doing another Jungler. One of my other favorites.. VOLIBEAR

uMrnhYb.jpg

After I started on this Bi-Polar bear, I wanted to go for a "calm before the storm" kinda look. however he needed armor.

LS2lDYd.jpg

and now Im just working on rendering the armor and his fur.

PfbivNx.jpg

In the end Im going to go for some harsh snow falling doing and some cool light effects from his blue glowy thing he has on him, maaah, ill show it later once its doen hehe.
  • Grimmcore
    started to color and darken the image abit for a more imposing look.
    9PdEIKU.jpg

Here I wanted to start doing the lights on his armor and how they would affect him.
    ZZoONBU.jpg
  • Grimmcore
    I added blurry snow and worked alot on minor details.
    H5Zt7L2.jpg

Now I need to do the finishing touches, and then I can call it done.. or not, we will see haha.
  • Aerisnoir
    I feel like there could be more power in the Kha'zix vs Rengar piece that is currently not showing. Both of them seem weightless, without mass. At least to me.

Rengar is holding 'Zix by the upper arm, but his own arm is fully outstretched; this is really difficult to do and Rengar isn't digging his feet into the ground nor strengthening his stance, making the grab difficult to believe (his right foot is barely in front of his center of mass in the torso and his spine is leaning forward. Considering he's holding a giant voidbug that's... pretty close to taking a nosedive off the cliff the moment 'Zix swings a scythe). Perhaps try widening the paws and toes of Rengar more as they dig in. The image might also be improved if you tried showing 'Zix's left foot grasp/supporting on Rengar's upper leg, that's what it hints at (correct me if I'm wrong). That might give more action to 'Zix instead of him just hanging in thin air like a feather.

I also wonder about Rengar's tail. Cat tails have a balancing function. It doesn't seem to do that here. Also, drawing Rengar's left elbow higher might tense it more and give that 'about to strike really hard' vibe to it. It might also provide some sense of counterweight to the act of lifting a void monster outstretched. Overall, the poses might be in need of a bit more exaggeration?

Just my observations, feel free to disregard if they're wrong.
  • Grimmcore
    yeah youre right. Its a bad action scene all in all. Need to get in there and paint it better. thanks for the critique =)
  • Grimmcore
    So Im close to being finished I think. I played alot with the lights and decided that Volibear had just been in battle instead of going into battle. Did I overdo the blood? I dont know, I like it, but Im not sure it appeals to others. hmmm Im tired after painting for several hours.

This far I have spent around 8 hours on this painting.

5ZZT0RN.jpg
  • Grimmcore
    I took a few days break from painting, and when I came back I noticed he needed a bigger neck and broader jawline.
    I also wanted to show that he had just come out of battle victorious, so I wanted to show more of the gauntlets and lighting coming from them, Thunder Claws, his ultimate has just been activated in battle. Also you can clearly see that he has used his W, Frenzy.

VhhSOyg.jpg
  • Grimmcore
    I started to add more detail and add the lightning.

F9G7W3V.jpg
  • Grimmcore
    And now all I needed to do was add the final details and adjust colors, the black and whites. And now I think Im done.

A battleworn Volibear standing, breathing in his victory.

fPZjPwq.jpg