Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Tayuya64] Sketch Book

attempt.png
faceattempt.png

I will work on the ears and maybe add some hair later, this was just a warm up sculpt coming back to zbrush after a bad cold. i'd really really love some comments and crits guys would love to make my work grow

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Perhaps you should try working from some specific reference? I'm not really sure what sex or ethnicity this face is supposed to represent. It might also be worth working on specific parts individually before diving into a full face?

This video is pretty cool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P59P1TIdb1A

I'm sure someone here can give you more specific critique on facial anatomy.
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps you should try working from some specific reference? I'm not really sure what sex or ethnicity this face is supposed to represent. It might also be worth working on specific parts individually before diving into a full face?

This video is pretty cool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P59P1TIdb1A

I'm sure someone here can give you more specific critique on facial anatomy.

Yea you're right i usually just get so excited when i open zbrush i pretty much just go to town and work without a reference lol i need to settle down and do a sculpt with a reference. I tried to do an oriental female face but guess it didn't turn out that way, i'm just trying to work out how to do eyes and lips properly they are my biggest weakness also that and not knowing the planes of the face. Definitely going to try to work on it but individually not to sure seems like it'd be very hard for me but i'll try :) thanks for the comment
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i've been working on something to practice sculpting crits would be helpful

ip_nude_v04_front.jpg

sdfw.png
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys made some progress on my character would love to hear what you guys think or any crits to the anatomy itself would be appreciated

update2.png
    update.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'm asking this as a question specifically so you know what to do in the future.

Do you know where the top of the ear needs to be in relation to the height of the eye?
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly don't have a clue
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On this reference you posted, what is the height of the top of the ear in relation to the eye?

ip_nude_v04_front.jpg
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems a bit lower , i stopped using the reference when i was finished with body...think i should take a closer look at references
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm being serious about the question, what is the exact height of the top of the ear in relation to the eye?

I'm trying to get you to observe properly instead of ball-parking it.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    ...think i should take a closer look at references
    Definitely. Always use your references to their fullest, don't let yourself think you know how something looks; you probably don't. This goes for pretty much everyone but people who've been studying a specific thing for decades.

Also, (not to distract you but) you probably want to model with the palms facing downwards. It's more standardized.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    You've got quite the alien monkey head goin on here haha. Tell you what, you should get some reference of a real human, that'll help you a lot more than this will.
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm being serious about the question, what is the exact height of the top of the ear in relation to the eye?

I'm trying to get you to observe properly instead of ball-parking it.

In all honesty i have no idea :( anatomy is still pretty new thing i'm learning so i couldn't tell you the exact height or what not
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 wrote: »
    You've got quite the alien monkey head goin on here haha. Tell you what, you should get some reference of a real human, that'll help you a lot more than this will.

Lol this character isn't meant to be human it's more cartoon-esqe
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    oh ok, in that case, you should check out your proportions.
    I wont repeat it, but jadeyepanda and bagel hero are right on point.
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Definitely. Always use your references to their fullest, don't let yourself think you know how something looks; you probably don't. This goes for pretty much everyone but people who've been studying a specific thing for decades.

Also, (not to distract you but) you probably want to model with the palms facing downwards. It's more standardized.

Ah okay i'll definitely see if i can fix the hands , yea this character was just meant to be practice but i want to finish it , it would be my first complete character
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I'm trying to get at is that you don't necessarily need to speak about the concept of Proportions in terms of absolute meteres or inches.

The answer, and you'll see this with the reference you posted, is "the top of the ear lines up with the center of the eye."

There's a literal grey line that runs across the page. They're not there to just look pretty, they're lining up elements across the body to tell you where things are positioned.

Other various phrases that speak about proportions:

"She's 7 1/2 heads high."

"Her nose is about an eye width wide."

"The hairline begins about 3 eye heights from the center eye line."

Do you see how none of those statements mention nothing about metric or imperial units, but used the existing elements on the face to measure spacing and position of other elements? You need to learn and get used to speaking in this language if you're serious about doing character art. Without this, you're left taking inordinate amounts of time trying to bring real life units to something that looks incredibly rough for concept art.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    nice amigo!
    the worst thing you can do is not finish. So with that being said.. get to work!
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys sorry for not posting in a while been busy. With that said i started off With a Fiona practice sculpt from adventure time Roughly around an hour work lots to do

friends_1.png
    342352424523523523.png