Home Contests & Challenges Archives Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Agatha Knight - The King's Guard

Hi guys, not sure of the format for these new submissions so I'll just continue as in the competition...

Here's where I got to previously before some real-world commitments meant I couldn't finish the competition:

B3F0lWo.jpg

Due to the fact this sword is clearly Agathan in design (courtesy of that lion pommel), I feel that I really do need to throw in a helmet to make a set rather than finishing this off as a standalone weapon. With this in mind, I've gathered a couple of potential designs for taking forward.

First up, there's the Game of Thrones Kingsguard helmet:
500px-Kingsguard_icon.jpg
Naturally I can't just copy this but it would act as a majority reference in an original design.

There's also this helmet design (first/second from left) I've seen around in coat-of-arms designs but can't seem to pin down any real photographs for, so would have to be an original design based on it again.
helmets.jpg

Finally I saw this helmet which is a fairly standard looking knights helm. Not to sold on the style of it though, not sure it really matches the curvier designs of the sword furniture...
Battle_Helmet__4_.JPG

Current favourite for me is an adaptation of the GoT helm in the first image, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts about the others.

Thanks!

Replies

• islipaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    islipaway polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe this is the type of helm the illustration is trying to represent? I think it's pretty ugly myself but it's the only image I've come across that seems close.

80.jpg
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, yea nice find... I do agree with you though lol, not the flashiest looking headgear. Now my question has been answered in the sticky though, I think I'm just going to stick with the sword as a single piece.
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly, unwrap and bakes all done. Haven't cleaned anything up in Photoshop yet and obviously haven't started texturing - will probably get it in engine first. Triangle count is sitting at 4996 and I'm using 2048 x 1024 textures...

2hC7BCH.png

KeXtzNg.png

cRZEuQm.png

FbwZglh.png
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, been a while since I made an update so thought I'd throw up some WIP shots of the texture. These are taken from the content browser in the Chivalry SDK. Still got some work to do but feel free to let me know what you think!

lYl2wlU.png

fyj9XDk.png

nnHKeZo.png

On a side note, is there any way to preview a weapon in hand as the players will see it? I can't find a way to do this but it seems like a pretty crucial step in tweaking the textures...
  • sgtscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    I didn't do this, but I figured it was possible... In the character folders there is versions of the characters for 1st person... They basically are the 3rd person models but with no head or torso. I figure you could try loading one of those up in the anim editor and attach the weapon. They use all the same animations as the regular characters I think. Then you'd just have to position the camera properly to get the look of 1st person. Lookin good btw! I like the gritty feel in the grooves of the blade. I might want to see the same colour as the hilt metal for the cross guard, or maybe change the texture somehow to differentiate the blade from the cross guard
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like that might be my best shot. Think I'll try somehow arranging the player spawn perfectly within the mesh or something and then just not touching the mouse when I test play it... Thanks, some good points about the material distribution not being quite right, it's been bugging me a bit too. I'm going to try dropping the brass material from the pommel as pretty much ever sword of this style I see is actually all just steel. Anyway, still plenty of work to do so I'll crack on and upload what I come up with later on tonight.