Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

[Riot Art Contest] - Hannah

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Aaerie polycounter lvl 3
Hey everybody,

I'm really looking forward to this contest and I think it'll be a lot of fun! I'm pretty new to animation but I've played LoL for a few years now and this seems like a great challenge.

I'm planning on doing animations for Leona and I'm thinking of using the Mery rig.

Can't wait to see what everybody comes up with!

Replies

• Aaerie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaerie polycounter lvl 3
    I was planning on doing some animations for Leona, but instead I decided it might be more interesting to come up with my own character. I didn't stray too far from my original idea and went with my vision of what Leona's younger sister, "Ariel", might be like.

Background: Ariel is similar to her older sister, Leona, in many ways. She is rebellious, determined and brave, but she also has a very playful and adventurous side. Since the Kinkou Order had fallen to the Order of the Shadow, Ariel felt compelled to travel from her homeland on Mount Targon's peak to Ionia to help restore the balance and finally get out of her sister's shadow. There, she has trained and learned to harness the power of light.

Weapons: Spellsword or orb combined with a small shield. One of her abilities allows her to swap between the spellsword for close range and the orb for long range.

Friends:
    Leona, Pantheon, Soraka

Rivals:
    Zed

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JWmJftG.jpg</a><a href=http://www.polycount.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode target=_blank>[/IMG]
  • Aaerie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaerie polycounter lvl 3
    Here's my progress so far for the run cycle. Any feedback/comments are appreciated!

if6UFj4.gif
    JuvNYHe.gif
    gjDJ8eT.gif
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarvin88 polycounter lvl 3
    Good start! Cool idea behind the character. Just a few suggestions:

1. When her right foot lands, the timing on her down pose is a few frames quick, as compared to when the left foot strikes.
    2. Push the upper body's left/right rotation a little further. Also, the forward/backward rotation could use a little more overlap to smooth it out.
    3. Lastly, i think it could use a little more slow in, slow out in the overall up/down motion to help out the hop shes got goin on.

Love the creativity, keep at it!
  • Aaerie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaerie polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks jarvin! I was having a hard time figuring out how to improve my run, but your tips really helped steer me in the right direction and see issues that I hadn't even seen. I'm still having some troubles with the legs, but overall I think it's starting to come together.

Here's my updated run that I've been working on. The gif is slightly faster than what it really is.

MFcicCO.gif
  • Andyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyc polycounter lvl 5
    Hi,

Your run cycle is looking pretty good so far. I've got a suggestion which i would check out though. The main thing for me is that the head feels like it's popping quite a bit. I think this may be down to the body being a little stiff rotating forward and backward or possibly the spacing.
  • Aaerie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaerie polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the advice, Andy! I tried to fix the head popping, but I honestly had a hard time getting it to look right. I’ll keep working on it today and see where it goes.

Run cycle update (The gifs freeze after a few seconds, so you have to refresh the page for them to work again)

BjBP4u4.gif
    http://i.imgur.com/BjBP4u4.gif

Sahz9w3.gif
    http://i.imgur.com/Sahz9w3.gif

And here’s my ultimate animation that I’ve been working on. I went through a lot of ideas that weren’t working and this one seemed like the best out of the bunch.

Ultimate Ability – Ariel throws an orb at the enemy, which captures them inside of it, stunning them at the same time. After channeling, she is imbued with a spellsword that she then uses to explode the orb, sending out a wave of aoe damage.

[vv]114922251[/vv]
    [vv]114916443[/vv]
    [vv]114916442[/vv]
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarvin88 polycounter lvl 3
    Cool entry, and love the look of the final! goodluck!
  • Aaerie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaerie polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Jarvin! Good luck to you too. Your entry is really amazing.

Final Submission
    http://youtu.be/UvQH3KJzUS8

Being fairly new to animation, I felt like I learned a lot through this contest. Seeing how other animators go from start to finish was really helpful and will definitely give me a better idea on how to go about future animations.

Good luck everyone!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Your Youtube link is private, but the previews above look great!
  • Aaerie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaerie polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you! :) The link should be working now. It was just taking a few hours to finish uploading to YouTube for some reason.