Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unwrapping help.

My item is very basic, just over 500 tris but I will be cutting it down to just under. My texture map is 512x512, I know I'm supposed to use my space wisely but if I fit the staff upright in the unwrap then it gets very pixilated...and as I try to open the Max file, I have just realised my 3ds Max is 2012 and the file is 2014..so I'll have to get an image of the model tomorrow.
I want to unwrap well and create nice textures, so please, I am grateful for all tips and advice!! :)

Replies

• B_Korth
    Offline / Send Message
    B_Korth polycounter lvl 8
    Not much to say yet until I can see model. If you could label the parts of the unwrap that would help to for seeing if they are unwrapping ok. :)
  • YakZSmelk
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    So it will definitely help for us to see the model but since you won't have it until tomorrow here are some things to consider when unwrapping.

> Create logical seams.
    If there is a change in material (example metal to wood) create a seam there.

> Overlay UV's when possible.
    Say you're creating a weapon that has small emerald studs on it, those studs can easily share uv space which will cut down on the amount you need to texture and UV.

> Don't be afraid to scale UV's up or down a little.
    In order to best utilize space when unwrapping sometimes it is beneficial to scale down or up UV clusters. As long as there isn't noticeable differences in the texel density it won't hurt.

> Texure at double the final size
    This one is a bit hit or miss with me, but it can be beneficial to work at 1024 for a 512 texture then scale down when finished. Working this way helps keep the texture from becoming overly pixelated.