Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - Maokai vs Zyra

here are some process pics with my illustration starting from the very rought sketches until the present progress. hope you like it :)

Replies

• chewie105
    Offline / Send Message
    chewie105 polycounter lvl 3
    did you do the BG yourself? otherwise I think their pose is a bit static for a comfrontation.
  • georgecata93
  • georgecata93
  • georgecata93
    chewie im planning to make more spices coming from the ground so that it will look like zyra is trying to ground him...but ill do that mostly at the end
  • chewie105
    Offline / Send Message
    I type in "Zyra concept" on google and your image of zyra came up. DONT do this. this is a very bad habit to do when you're painting. never take anything from others even if you are just doing this to get the colors. for now, I suggest making the background entirely GREEN with darker greens to block out landscapes if the background is not your own.

perspective wise, your figures dont match up with the BG. here is lens distortions in the BG while your characters have no lens distortion. it is as if the camera is pointed straight at them.
  • georgecata93
    yes i got my reference and inspiration from a concept made by paul kwon...but i dont think this is a problem... i am suppose to use reference... and the image was proprety of riot as far as i know...
  • georgecata93
    and the background pic is used only because of the colors....if i wanted it green i would've used another pic...and again ...its completly painted over and modified so there is no trace of using a picture....
  • chewie105
    Offline / Send Message
    yes i got my reference and inspiration from a concept made by paul kwon...but i dont think this is a problem... i am suppose to use reference... and the image was proprety of riot as far as i know...

when they say you can use reference, they dont mean you can take other people's work and put it in your painting. use reference as in "how the overall design should look." In art, there is the legal issue of copyrighted materials. you NEVER want to use anyone else's picture/painting, even for color references. By doing so ,you are using the color and mood of that piece to your own. even if you plan to paint out 90% of it, dont do this, it's not safe. I'm still a student, but they can never stress enough that we cannot do this.

these are references that I'll actually use.
    - leaves (exotic leaves?)
    - tree barks
    - women anatomy
    - trees
    - monsters

take your references from nature, not another painting/concept. hope this helps.

*adding: when you use the BG from another source, you not only take the color and mood, but the perspective as well. all the objects in there are already established in a fixed position so by using it, you are basically making your image look very similar to their's
  • Flaxor
    Reference and inspiration is not the same as colour picking.
  • chewie105
    Offline / Send Message
    and the background pic is used only because of the colors....if i wanted it green i would've used another pic...and again ...its completly painted over and modified so there is no trace of using a picture....

look at your original BG that you used. now compare it with your current one.

from far away, I see:
    dark green on the edges, and a very light green in the center
    the image is composed of 3 darker tree shapes. one is on the right, another on the left, and the last one is in the distance. the composition is still very much the same. this is showing that you lack the ability to make your own composition. I'm not saying that you cannot make your own composition, but if you want to showcase your work, all of it have to be done by you; otherwise you're just showcasing other artists.
  • georgecata93
    you do have a point but for me seems like color picking is a little bit exagerated...if i have to not pick this or that color because it has been used somewhere else then i would have to paint with almost nothing... anyway...i have to agree that painting on top of the images it is a little bit risky (i heard that from feng zhu's videos as well)...but even he said that its ok as long as you cover everything and change it radically
  • chewie105
    Offline / Send Message
    you do have a point but for me seems like color picking is a little bit exagerated...if i have to not pick this or that color because it has been used somewhere else then i would have to paint with almost nothing... anyway...i have to agree that painting on top of the images it is a little bit risky (i heard that from feng zhu's videos as well)...but even he said that its ok as long as you cover everything and change it radically

it is completely fine to color pick, but just to be safe, I make a selection of a general location that have all the colors (or most) that I will intend on using; and create a color pallet from there. this way I am not so drawn in by copying their painting. you need to change the perspective on your trees because right now it's basically traced overlay of the original. (also perspective is wrong).

as to what Feng said in his videos, you dont want to use other people's paintings as your color pallet because some of their color and mood will transition itself onto your own if you do this.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Chewie is offering a lot of opinions and finger pointing and not a lot of structurally constructive feedback.

Use whatever references you want in any manner you want, including color picking.
  • georgecata93
  • georgecata93
    did some changes....maokai is allmost finished but i redraw zyra completely...
  • georgecata93
    here is the final product i guess....im not completly satisfied but its a step forward....anyway i want to come up with more ideas...let me know what you guys think :)
  • awied18
    I like it though I feel like Zyra should be a bit darker cause they are in a poorly lit forest and shes seems too bright