Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Brooding Vladimir

Tez
Tez
So, throwing my hat in the ring here with a skin idea for Vladimir.

Basically -

kL4Nl4m.jpg

So, to elaborate on that a bit, Vlads skins seem to be themed around other vampire characters, Noferatu, Lestat de Lioncourt, David from the Lost boys, etc. (these are informed guesses, I don’t actually know what the artists were thinking :P). I figured that a skin that relates to the current trend with Vampires would be a fun take on a Vlad skin.

Vampires (To many peoples dismay) have become synonymous with brooding angst filled teens, and thats what I plan to do to vlad. Sorry in advance.

I have put together a ref board of the kind of characters that I am hoping to parody in this skin, mainly Edward Cullen and Roman Godfrey, along with a set of outfit choices fit for any teen vampire.

LPVWuV8.jpg

I also threw together a breakdown of how the current Vlad reads, and how I plan to make outfit decisions based on Vlad’s vanilla skin. As this is a skin that takes Vlad away from the more fantastical realm of Runeterra, I will need to let the current aesthetic of Vlad inform a lot of the costume choices I make.
  • The Coat – The biggest part of Vlad’s silhouette is his Coat. The collar and cuffs are exaggerated and flared, and the coat sweeps along the ground. This will be mirrored by using a long coat in my design.
  • Trousers and boots – In all of the current Vlad skins, he is wearing knee-high boots. I will be sure to integrate this into my Vlad.
  • Body Type – Vlad is tall and thin with a pale complexion and glowing eyes.
  • Accessories – Vlad is adorned with blade like talons on his fingers, cuffs and around his neck and waist, This is something that could be mirrored in my design with the use of jewelry.
  • Hair – Vanilla vlad has a quiffy type thing going on, I think the Edward Cullen style quiff would be his thing if he was at high school. :P

Overall this isn't a skin that’s taking itself seriously, It’s a bit like emumu, It’s a jab at popular culture. The main task is to make sure its recognizable as Vlad.

So, research bit done, on to the fun stuff! Blockouts to follow :D

Replies

• Tez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tez
    Progress:

UvfHyFq.jpg

Not a huge update, just blocking in stuff, mainly focusing on proportions of the body relative to the riot style, and the proportions of the current vlad models (large hands, long legs). Body Anatomy is admittedly non-refined as the costume will cover everything bar the face and hands. Feel free to let me know if I made any massive faux pas anatomy wise :).

Next step is finalizing the body shape/proportions and moving onto blocking out the outfit. The face is also far from done, but is in a state where I'm OK to leave it til' the outfit is blocked out.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Looking awesome so far dude!
  • Tez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tez
    wUzVdSs.jpg

Got a run at this today. Blocked out the majority of the clothing, still got more work to do on the trousers (creasing is just all kinds of wrong), and more accessories to make. Hope to have the high poly done tomorrow!

C&C appreciated.
  • Tez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tez
    Making progress on this guy, got the High Poly done and the low poly is complete minus a few adjustments.

cdknil1.jpg

pMa1tyw.jpg

Now to UV and start Painting this mo-fo :D