Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Blitztank

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Final shots:
W1ZGBAa.png
HNgaXwC.png
JiA2AMq.png

Blitzcrank_OriginalSkin.jpg

I'm going to go with a custom skin idea of turning Blitzcrank into a Red Alert-inspired Tesla tank. I'm thinking the top half will be similar to a Tesla Trooper (using a similar armour design and electrified gauntlets) and the bottom half will have treads and wheels from a tank. I also want to work in some sort of Tesla coil with chrome sphere (probably at the centre of mass/Blitzcrank's body).

Made a collage of some references I will be using for this project:
FVtdQ19.jpg

Replies

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Here is rough concept sketch. Most likely going to change and add more details when I get to the 3D.
    He1Etgc.jpg
  • sgtscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    Haha I like it!
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    sgtscience wrote: »
    Haha I like it!

Thanks! :)

Here is a rough preview of the sketch of how it may look in the new SR, just posting this before I head out. I know it is still too flat so I'll update this preview soon. I also want to do a few more variations of concepts showing different shapes and construction of the torso area.
    fC3aaX4.jpg
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update:
    FbFjsxG.jpg

Added some more shading and edited some details to the concept (such as bigger shoulders and chest, some electrical effects), and created 3 variations of colour tones (olive green, bronze, and two-tone) for the in-game mock-up. I think after looking at it now, I should darken some parts while keeping other areas lighter to bring more focus to certain areas because right now everything looks like the same brightness and colour.

f8QrXI3.jpg
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Since I mostly just stick to low-poly modeling, I've decided to jump right into just that. So far I have done the main tank base. I have looked at a few references more closely to model in some extra details.

Oea096k.jpg
    BodZifV.jpg

Right now this is around 4k triangles and I don't know what the limit should be but I'm going to aim for no more than 8-10k when complete.

Oh yeah, I also thought a lot about the wheels or treads design direction, and decided that I will just stick to wheels instead for simplicity's sake.
  • Flaxor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great idea, I look forward to the final result!
  • Khaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go with treads... treads always look awesome and push that "tank" feel a lot more :)
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the comments guys. Maybe I could try it with treads at the end but I think I am okay with the wheels right now. I already have it all UV mapped and ready for texturing.

The model is just under 9000 (perhaps I should add a few more :p) polygons. I have tweaked the proportions to try to keep it consistent with the original Blitzcrank's. I also noticed that all of Blitzcrank's skins tend to have a very large upper body but small feet and lower body, however I feel that I have stretched that a bit with this idea of adding a tank, as I don't want to make that too small or the details will be missed.

KFQ6QJP.jpg

As for the one hand glove, other hand tesla coil concept, I've decided to keep both hands as gloves because it's simpler and more consistent with Blitzcrank's silhouette. Also wouldn't work with Blitz's current kit unless he is buffed with the ability to shoot lightning bolts out of his arm. :)

mBbEs9U.gif
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Tweaked the geometry of the forearms and hands and did some rough colouring. Worked on the wheel details and went with a recognizable face for Blitz.

vODMmuR.jpg
    eWf46Mp.jpg
    5HJ9ZDO.jpg
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Small update: Cleaned up most of the grungy texture and brightened the upper body. Tweaked some colours around and added some minor details.

RaF4i5u.jpg
    51Ay3ay.jpg
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe the colours you're using are a little too bright...good start though!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Dantert wrote: »
    Maybe the colours you're using are a little too bright...good start though!

The colours are actually at a mid brightness (50-60%) value in PS, and that's for the brightest parts like the top. I'm not worried, but I will add some contrast for sure when I move onto next stages of layering/painting.
    Starting to look pretty cool! I think when you start beating up the armor ande getting some sharpness to it it will start coming together

Thanks for the comment TeriyakiStyle. I will definitely be sure to work in some grunge while not making it too busy. I have been closely looking at the default skin and figuring out how they painted that. :P

Not much of an update here again, but just felt like showing the model in several other views.

So since this idea is obviously based on Red Alert, I try to get motivation by listening to some of the good old soundtracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x7VvFy4BYQ :)
    UHFwAah.jpg
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Added some more detail and adjusted the contrasts and shading. I think I am more satisfied with the upper body part now, but I think from the map preview mock-up, I'll need to adjust the contrast of the arms and fists and make them sharper and pop out more.
    5P67mSc.jpg
    hwcaKUs.jpg
    LlCzPpR.gif
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Updated: Decided to add some rust, among other details.
    pAhk5GH.jpg
    3Nzo1Dj.jpg
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Looks like I may be wrapping this up very soon. I've spent enough time on this one I think, and I would like to move on to a new project. :)
    uy9D4eo.png
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Okay, I think I should be ready to submit. :)
    W1ZGBAa.png
    nENNqhZ.png
  • Ro-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    Ahah good idea camarad and cool result too ;)
  • art.Rishabh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! i think you can paint more shine on the metal parts...they are more like a matte finish!
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Now on Sketchfab. :)
    [sketchfab]63c156d49f674a959be5039aea2ebc17[/sketchfab]
  • baiph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now if somebody requested for a tank, go Blitztank!
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    For some reason, 2 of my Blitztank images got hidden or deleted on imgur, so I've reuploaded them here:
    HNgaXwC.png
    JiA2AMq.png