Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Thresh: The Chain Warden

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dr.HeatSync polycounter lvl 8
I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this one:

Thresh_0.jpg

There might be a slight spin on it but I'll be basing it on his classic skin.

GLHF Report Thresh for instalock.

Replies

• Dr.HeatSync
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started a little late but will progress steadily. Starting from a dynamesh sphere I've got his head roughed out:

Zbuzfs5.jpg

It'll be cleaned out with a ZRemesh when I get the rest of the body blocked out.
  • Dr.HeatSync
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oSu3aLg.jpg

Current progress of blocking Thresh out via Dynamesh: I had a lot of fun making the skulls, but the bone segments definitely made me appreciate Thresh's classic skin so much more. It was pretty hard to keep to his proportions, reffering constantly to my in game screenshots, his splash art and LoLKing's model viewer. I'm hoping that I've made him quite imposing and terrifying, having exaggerated the upper torso with the mindset that constantly lifting chains, getting his victims on varying torture devices and other sorts of villainous things has turned him into a very beefy dude.

In terms of his 'head position' I've interpreted his head as a sort of 'face mask'; when he was alive this may have been a mask that he wore to hide his identity from his victims, and so it extrudes off of his face here which it is why it is placed much more forward. The head on the original floats very forward of where I think his head would be, so I've decided that can justify his current head placement.

Got lots more to do! Crit welcome!
  • Golden Yak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Golden Yak polycounter lvl 6
    Good to see a Thresh coming together - keep it up!
  • Dr.HeatSync
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers man! I'm gonna show this quick progress Puush; got the chains, his weapon and his lantern blocked out now, all thats left is the padlock and ring on the lantern and real high poly is good to go!

f88c42f715.jpg

(Hands are hidden as they currently get in the way of the chains; the chains will be put in a more proper neutral position later)
  • Dr.HeatSync
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the whole mesh blocked out now, and while I go on a little break to do some a high poly bust on a different project I'm gonna show my current plan for UV and mesh reuse:

Blockout:

ZnmX9kG.jpg

Added the bones that follow along his collar, padlock and revised his proportions on the upper chest and thighs to closer match Thresh. He's been pretty tough to match up with, but now its looking pretty close!

Looking closely at the Thresh model in game and on LoLKing, almost all of it is symmetried and the chain of course re-uses UV space. Whilst I'm pretty sure even the head is symmetried, I'd like to get a little assymetry going on at least there in terms of texture detail.

I know that not many people play LoL with full zoom and locked cam, but at quiet times like the start of the match when they're just bought their champ or something, theres a chance that they'll zoom in to get a closer look. Thats probably the only real different touch I'll place on him that is drastically different, as I feel his face plate could do with some horrifying cracks or disfigurements to make him even more terrifying.

x1NFk1H.jpg

To save a headache, the chains, lantern and scythe will be moved after their high poly sculpts are done. as theres a little area that the first one fits into within his 'side skulls'.

The fully saturated colours mean areas that have their own space. The darker, less saturated areas share space that corresponds with their hue. for areas like the scyte, its back side will probably be symmetried as well. This affects the way that I'll be sculpting the high poly and modelling the low poly as well.