Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Ryan Herb

So Excited for this Contest. Regardless of the prizes this is an excellent chance to learn and better my skills. Good Luck, Have Fun To everyone!

Right now, My Idea is going to be a Piltover Summoner's Rift/ Game Area. Just how Howling Abyss is in the Freljord, Twisted Treeline in the Shadow Isles, and Crystal Scar is in Kalamanda (mining village between Demacia and Noxus [I'm seriously just looking this stuff up now]) but I figured that Piltover is the perfect opportunity to get something special.

The Steampunk style is something that would be really fun to work with. Also there is a lot of story left untouched that I can tap into. After Jinx attacked Piltover, the once bustling city was thrown into chaos. Since then Jayce, Caitlyn and Vi have been working to restore that peace and capture the mad Jinx.

Just how the New Sumoner's Rift Has an Infected look the closer you get to Baron, I can twist that so that there's a more chaotic/destroyed look the closer you are to one of the sides.

There are a lot of ideas running through my head right now. But that's it for the introduction. Next post will be a Reference and Art dump. So be warned for a LOT of images!

Replies

• D_Wall
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    I like the idea! A lot of league's lore remains untouched and unexplored (things like Shurima have even completely altered the back stories of characters like Cassiopeia). Best of luck, can't wait to see the concepts!
  • Doc In A Box
    Reference Sheet #1: Piltover.
    The most recent Piltover shots came from the video we all know and love, Get Jinxed. So, Naturally, a great deal of this reference sheet came from screen shots of the video. There's a lot of acute details in these shots to take in, from Material choices to the level of wear and tear. But it'll be through studying this sheet that i'll be able to truely make these pieces look like a part of Piltover.
    wkbgi.jpg

Reference Sheet #2: New Summoner's Rift
    What better way to look at what Riot is thinking than to look at their current work. Just like in everything they do, there are tiny little gems to take in for each asset they have. And it's by taking this in and applying it to my concepts, that I'll truly get better.b8quea.jpg
  • rganima527
  • parasyte7
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to make sure you saw this post with the update to the rules:

Hi everyone,

At Riot Games, we have a very strong feedback culture. We pivot and make adjustments when things can be done better or are not working. In the spirit of this culture and after internal conversations with feedback from the community, we have decided to make some tweaks to the environment section of the contest. You can now choose to create the turret or the inhibitor rather than being required to create both. We want to make sure we are giving everyone enough time to create assets that you are proud of and able to finish in time for the December 19th deadline.

We are also tweaking the animation com petition and not have animators pick an established character since animating a specific character without the exact model will be difficult. We want to see solid animations that are keeping the animation style of LoL in mind when creating these ability assets.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

-Kenny