Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Twitch "the Plague Rat"

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
mrnunez polycounter lvl 2
Hello community!

I'm pretty excited to entering the Riot challenge! For it I chose my favorite character, Twitch "the Plague Rat". My intention is to give him more life and context on his clothes Armour, more related to the sewer, where he belongs and self-build elements he can make. I have already all in my head so I'm ready to go!

Good luck to everyone :D

LAST image:

[sketchfab]d181613c681c43758792f997228cd512[/sketchfab]
Twitch "The plague Rat" by mrnunez on Sketchfab

5gKMmuI.jpg

wmwDBeI.jpg

marlon-r-nunez-lol-twitch.jpg?1418651233
marlon-r-nunez-twitch-highpoly-presentatio.jpg?1418658583
P71hX1f.jpg

ipp2zlQyj

Replies

• FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Yusss! Go Marlon!
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Thanks FAT_CAP :D

I'm working now in silhouette and character shape. Im kinda' organize when creating a chap, specially if there is no clear concept I should follow. I know which kind of elements I wand to use on him, but the main shape I'm most open....at this point I'm working with Zspheres to get a better clear idea.

Other issue pop up today, is the fact as he is coming from the sewer (plague rat), I see him more crappy and even mutant style...so I'm considering building mutant parts for him like 2 tails, or even 4 arms...who knows...

f0X8ViEJj
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep blocking out the character and studing proportions and main silouhette. Also wort to test it how it would look ingame. Seems I want him chubby eventually and Im kinda getting close to the main shape.

Hope you guys like it

iqFiJLUOj
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I do dig it, but what are those extra arms there for? It looks really out of place.
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As "Twitch" comes from the sewer, where there are loads of residuals and maybe radioactive. I see him some what contaminated by those....

But is to be honest, my gfriend just told me the same about the arms so I will drop them out.

I like honesty, thanks!
  • Lazar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Oh man, I liked how you dropped your silhouette base into the league bg to check out how it looks. I feel like you can get so lost and not realize that it doesn't read so well in game. Really like where you're going with this! I'm excited to see the progress!
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now Im in the stage most of us like. Sculpting :)

I will describe the process on how I get to final bust, also you can see the image process:

1. Using poligroups to separate body parts. Make the whole bust one single group and just split it

2. Finding the head shape/mood: When I see Twitch designs defo there is one word that describes him, "CRAZY MADAFACKA". So this is the first thing that should say the new design Im buildig. I had to recreate different head shapes until I was satisfied with the last version which I started sculpting

3. Sculpting: There will be more asymetry for him besides the fact Im missing loads of elements, but Im happy with the main face.

f0YIcApAjiqU5JFkFj
  • Igami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a great head. Loving the tongue.
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the sculpt for hair and going 1lv further in subdivisions. Also sculpted a piece of cloth which I want to use as kinda' hoody/cap".

Now I will start moving to the Body

id4YOEkOj
  • Heat3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heat3d polycounter lvl 4
    wow! great sculpt! Waiting for new updates!
  • FoxBullBee
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx guys for the comments!
  • Kjp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kjp polycounter lvl 4
    I really love your design ! Can't wait to see the next step.
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kjp :)

As now Im moving to body and armour I started conepting it, to have a better clear vision before start sculpting. This is the first sketch Im building as a moodboard.

Something Im having in mind is the fact most of the characters ingame as are in 3/4 view, the most evident area is back and chest, so Im focusing more on those. Legs will be much cover, specially tibia area which defo will be symetrical in order to share UVs.

Any critique is welcome

p8UWIarSj
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the upper body sculpt, shoulders mainy and see how is fitting on the chap

To give it some sense, shoulders will be hold by the chains by themselves, so during runing animations shoulders can bounce a little

p1rcgVnmj
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also a 3/4 view, shoulders should be the main visible part of the chap besides the weapon by itself. Im kinda happy for now

f04c6cKEj
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    yike's o.O, twitch hasn't been so terrifying till now
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks D_Wall, glad you said it. My point is to giving him more volume meanwhile he keeps his crazy personality. Also he is a quadruped on my concept (not shown yet) I will be working on the animation side of the challenge to show it....so is 100% redesign of him. Loads of fun !
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the sculpt from Twitch, so I will start moving foward the weapon. Any critique comments is appreciate, thanks guys !

exlbzpNLj
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Hot damn! Awesome sculpt.
  • Kjp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kjp polycounter lvl 4
    Good work man ! You should break the symetry on the legs though, cause right now, they are exactly the same.
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kjp, good point. I did the legs 100% symmetrical for one specific issue. UVs/textures, as the goal is to achieve one single texture I would like to have more UVs space for the most obvious elements you can see in the 3/4 view. Lower part of the body is rather hidden and on shade, so I thought if they are asymmetrical or symmetrical, noone can tell it from the distance. On the other hand Upper Part + weapon, are the most obvious. All of this is just an impression of course.

I will keep thinking about it. For now I will be moving to the weapon design

Thanks for the critiques guys :D
  • lukazguzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukazguzman polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice! I'm working on twitch too... just a new skin, not such a re-design :) But I'll use your details in this sculpt as a great body reference.

I'm wondering how are you going to translate such small details (like the wire on his left hand, or the breads in the beard) to the low poly!

Looking forward to see the progress!
    Lkz
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lukaz!

Yeap, regarding low detail like the wire, that's a good question! I believe with a good baking and some extra topology on the forearm should be enough....I defo do NOt want to have it as a separated mesh. I trust during the texture process I can keep most of the details but let's see....also will depend which elements are bigger on the Uvs space, its a challenge to keep all in a single sheet to be honest!

Good luck with your twitch version. Good choice!
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for been out for some weeks, but I have moved back to Spain and took some time to settle down. Im full again from this week and started working on the lowpoly character, attached image. The wireframe, I will bake the silouhette and recreate the path using the alpha channel. Same pipeline for cape to have be able to see the wholes and the silhouette better.

Regarding weapon, I started the sculpt though still have loads of ideas on how to improve it, but I hope to have the weapon sculpt finished during this week and lowpoly.

Any critique is more than welcome,

cheers guys!

39zC3I2
    39zC3I2.jpg
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    If that was your point then you definitely go it across! xD
    your retopo looks really clean too, so nice job on that!
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks D_Wall, I will post the baking result + alpha soon! :D

Now I'm playing a bit with Weapon sculpt, this is the initial idea that I liked. The idea is to focus in 2 main points:

- The weapon should be self-maid, simple. Nothing fancy, decoration or this kinda'.....but something anyone can came across in order to design the weapon. So simple objects and materials.

- It should be a crossbow, but also should be able to use in short distance combat. For this the main shape is a bat, which hold the crossbow mechanism.....if someone approach too much.....BAAAM!!! hehe

any critique is more than welcome!

KHiZRGo.jpg
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Initial Bakes

So today I finished all the lowpoly meshes for the character and the weapon, and worked on the UVs set up. Right now Im testing baking and how it looks on the chap (finding out if need more polys or better UVs space), but at the moment Im satisfied with the resulting map, just the head for now.

Will start baking the whole body + weapon and hopefully can move to texture the chap soon :D

Htk2Um9.jpg
  • lukazguzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukazguzman polycounter lvl 5
    Now, that's what I wanted to see! How you solved to move all that amount of detail in your high-poly to this low poly. It's looking really nice. And I really like the mechanism with the rat trap in the weapon! Really smart ;)
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lukaz,

the process is almost like everyone I believe. To make it faster I decided to bake the AO using Xnormal rather than 3DsMax, so to be honest nothing special, just define high and low poly meshes. On the UVs I maintain the most important elements bit bigger so they can have better detail, nevertheless in one 2K map there is not too much space for small detail.

One trick, is that I'm baking the normal map too, and from this one I'm extracting the cavity map....which is added in multiply mode to the baked AO. During AO baking a lot of detail can be lost, so is good to help yourself using secondary maps. Also have a LightMap to have better shadows from the 3/4 up view.

Im just finishing whole bake and happy with the alpha generated, almost took all the detail from the borders :). Will post the finished lowpoly (chap/weapon) + bake + UVs soon.
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished baking maps and final model: Polycount 17788 triangles, to be honest was higher I wanted from the begining but with the animatins I have in mind I can not safe everywhere,....anyway I tried to be as much efficient as possible.

Baking is OK and alphas are working as expected fortunately. In the image below you guys can see the alpha channel for the character. Also attached a preview of the final Uvs and the baked texture.

Will move to textures now :D. yay!

PRYD5Hv.gif

kWwmNyX.jpg
    48H5Q3A.jpgPRYD5Hv.gifv
  • jmturbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That´s looking great man!!
  • Ro-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    Great job dude, love the crossbow design :D
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    He looks scary, I love it!
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Very detailed and interesting take on Twitch. :)
  • bgram1984
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome progress so far!
    I can't wait to seeing the finished model.
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

I started the texture process, this just the base texture, mainly Im trying to find the best colour combinations, so still to do:

- Dirt pass
    - Asymetry pass
    - Bake light pass
    - Extra detail pass

Will post more progress soon...

vHRmAY0.jpg
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Body textures finished

Finished the last passes for the body texture. Now will move to finish the weapon!

2OobIxs.jpg
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the 360º for with the body texture applied

PYJP2BN.gif
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Man, this guy's nuts! F**kin' awesome.
  • jmturbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice model bro!!
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on little improvements on the final texture, for example spheres texture needs more love. Also almost finishing the weapon texture.

Will post more soon

Thanks for the feedback guys :D
  • Ngowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ngowan polycounter lvl 3
    really nice work mate, great job
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ngowan!

I started today on the rig and little texture updates. Also finished texturing the weapon.

Things to do:

- Polish rig/skin
    - Polish textures - specially greens spheres, still unhappy with them
    - Animations samples

JzR6S0S.jpg
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some map tests :D

BsE6Ywf.jpg
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    although to me it looks a bit too grey compared to lol environment, but I still like it a lot. good job!
  • D_Wall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    I like the polycount symbol on the sewer cover haha.

Looks great man; alittle more towards photo realism then I see in the other submissions, but if thats what you want to do then power to ya! :D
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

@jeebs, I'm also thinking about giving a 2nd thought towards color. I will see what I can came across and will post it.

@D_Wall, right :). I decided to give it more realism to the character.....probably unconsciously :P
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys,

I decided to start working on final images. Have spend some days playing with colours, but nothing worked on my head...and still liked the first variation.

Lately I wanted to make a beauty image of Twitch, in context....in the sewer. So I recreated the scenario in Max and play a little in Photoshop. Hope you like it.

I will start posting final images from now on :)

P71hX1f.jpg