Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - Diana

Replies

• Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Alot of nice depth in this and your detail rendering is obviously top notch. Looking forward to the final!
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhhh hahaha yeah, i havent saw the imagen like that, like she's wielding a bow,
    @Jelligeth, @Xidon Thanks! gotta work on that, it's like the classic pose for a Bowman so you're right ^^, when i start to render the Khopesh i'll upload a screenshot

@Wuzidan, @Lisiri, @Rayph Thanks guys ^^
  • Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow amazing! Can't wait to see it finished! I think for the pose you can see when Diana thrown the "Q" she do a nice arc with her arm, maybe seeing it more carefully can help you :)
  • gustavotorqueto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gustavotorqueto polycounter lvl 5
    My suggestions is on the forearm, is seams a little small considering the point of view, other than is a good work in here =)
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Icaro, Thanks! yep, gotta do more research about the pose, as @Gustavotorqueto said, there is a problem with the Forearm. Probably it's time to take my camera and make my own reference for this ^^
  • naomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alvaro beautiful technique!

that being said, same with other comments be careful of such ambitious poses. similar to perspective, if something is off people will give the side eye. forum is a great opportunity for the bystander eyes to let you know "hey... something seems off.." Make a friend pose this way (even if its a dude haha)

be clear if what you're trying to get across! why is diana doing this? ask these honest questions

try not to get mesmerized by your own beautiful technique :)

(oh and thanks for your lovely comment:)
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Naomi ^^

yes, this ambitious pose is giving me problems, but since i think we got enough time for this Contest, i wanted to push myself into something that i usually dont do, and work with this kind of perspective is something that i try to avoid xD, it's pretty hard for me atm

well, "why is diana doing this?" i've been trying to give a meaning to this ilustration, based on the Diana Lore, this Ilustration/Situation happened after she " slaughtered the elders", so, (i run out of word atm XD, gotta check a dictionary to use the right words) but on a simple description, i want to show her cruelty, she being glorious about his decision.

that's why she is aside this wall with a solari Symbol and passing her hand with blood over it, (the blood is still on process ^^)

Thanks for your Advices Naomi, rlly appreciate, (srry about my English, it's a WIP too ahaha)

aanndd More wip! working on the Forearm perspective and rendering the hand

1491843.544af1961451d.jpg
  • blue_skies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blue_skies polycounter lvl 4
    I can totally see the story in this piece, even just based on her expression. Absolutely beautiful. (Honestly, I kind of prefer it cropped in like this.)

Hair is fab, face is fab, and that armor is looking swell too. All beautiful.
  • Rakugaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Impressive! :O
  • JoseVega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseVega polycounter lvl 2
    looking sharp man! liking the process...
    have u considered adding a second light source? like a rim light or something?
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JoseVega Thanks Man! yep, but only on the edge of her face, maybe on the hand to separate them from the background, but just for that (at least for now)

@Blue_Skies ahaha i like it cropped too, not sure yet about leave it cropped or not ^^. Thanks

@Rakugiki Thanks!

ok, More wip! well.. i've been working on the Forearm perspective, lot of problems paiting this part, i've taken some pictures as reference but, the big deal here is the shape of the Bracer, so here are some modifications, im not sure which one it's right, (if there is one right lol) let me know what you think guys ^^ Thanks!

C&C Are welcome
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably the last Wip ^^ almost done here.

As always, C&C Are welcome

1500917.54505c0b4ca68.jpg
  • Lokii288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokii288 polycounter lvl 3
    I'm inclined to say you should flip it, so she's on the right. But my god is this good O_O I'm so jealous. The blood smear from her hand is a GREAT touch. so much detail.
  • viko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viko polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Alvaro,
    What a beautiful piece! Love your technique. The only thing that bother me, besides the pose issues, it's the shadow on the wall. Maybe its too sharp, giving the impression that her face its right next the wall. Take a look at her hand on the background, the shadow has a nice falloff, but your others shadows are not behaving the same way. The ideal scenario its take a photo for reference, trying to recreate this light setup....or maybe use some 3d package. If you need help with that, just let me know.And maybe you can add some imperfections to the wall.

I made a little overpaint to illustrate my point, I hope you don't mind.
    Keep it up, its looking great!

KtIzRo.gif
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lokii288 Thanks man!, probably i'll flip it ^^

@Viko Thanks for taking the time and give this feedback, rlly apreciate ^^ and yes, you're right, i'll try and over paint the wall and make the Light less sharp as it goes far from the Upper point (pic 1) and if it looks wierd, i'll over paint the complete wall like you did in the Gif and see how it looks ^^ , this sharp light it's not like "accidental", i wanted the light to be sharp to use it like a Guide for the viewer, but as you point it, it looks like she is right next to the wall as consequence

the other point that you said, about the shadow that she cast with her hand, here, im not sure if i understood what you said, which shadows do not behave "the same way" to be exactly? the shadows from the curtains? or the shadows of her body?

i take some pictures and i stood like diana and the only shadow that i casted on the wall of my room, was my hand's shadow the rest of my body's shadow hit the other wall, so thats why i want to know if you were talking about the body shadow or the curtain shadow

i made some quicky sketches to explain you how i tryied to use the light, (pic 2 and the other) this is about the same, of the shadow of her hand and the body.

aanndd something that keeps in my mind is "besides the pose issues" could you tell me more about this? :)

well, Again, Thanks you very much for taking the time and give me this great feedback.
  • viko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viko polycounter lvl 2
    Oh Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, my bad.
    About the pose, some people already gave feedback on that, that's what meant....nothing big to worry about.
    I was talking about the shadow that I painted on top... was not behaving like the one you painted on the hand. (which looks "right" to me) I think you got it :)

And yeah, I know that shadow was intentional, it's a great way to guide the eye to a point of interest.:thumbup:

It's looking great so far, these are minor things that I noticed.
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaah hahaha, yeah but you know, im working on the soft shadow line and adding some imperfection on the wall as you said, and it's looking good, rlly appreciate these "Minor Things" haha, :D thanks again Viko!
  • JoseVega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseVega polycounter lvl 2
    hey alvaro looking good man! this is coming out great! I think the direction of the cast shadow of the hand on the wall is different than the one on the actual wall....
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JoseVega Thanks man! yeah, it's diferente but i think it's ok, actually i was paiting over the cast shadow too see if it looks better that way, but i didnt like. so i make sure and took a picture as reference ^^

1519637.545a7b5ac6305.jpg
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More Wip,

k, after a busy week, i back on this ^^ im working on the Khopesh... when i started this Illustration, i had in mind that i wanted to do some kind of skin, but not big changes, more do something like "Emerald Moon Diana" or " Emerald Vengeance" the concept of Diana Plus Emerald sounds cool in my mind XD. so that's why her Weapon is Greenish, like made of a Rock/Gem

But im not sure if i'll leave as final render

1520455.545ad1a06ee42.jpg
  • leomarconde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, Alvaro! This is marvelous! You have made a really good job on the composition! I look forward to see the final piece =D
  • Purefire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really nice, very cool piece
  • Greowko
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    woah this blew my mind! awesome!

btw: the brush you use to start blocking out is like when you paint a window with chalk can you tell us about that please?
  • kitsune_jt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • xday11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great Alvaro, I love the nice color subtle color shifts on the blade.
  • gabirchal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks gorgeous <3
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone :)

Tierzilla, Hi ^^, well. i start blocking with this brush mostly mostly for 2 reasons, 1, if you paint with horizontal strocks, it looks more soft, and if you paint vertical it's looks more hard, also, due to its irregular shape, sometime it generate random forms, or "happy accidents". actually this brush is one of my favorites, im pating this illustration mostly with this brush.

if i zoom up this original file you can see some of the strocks that are not Fully "rendered" ^^. hope this answer your question, and srry for the late answer, i've been busy this week :)
    jfdemp.jpg
  • Ethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ethird polycounter lvl 6
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Alvaro , i really apreciate the time you took to show us your method!!! its awesome i really like it!
    ps: do you have a portfolio?
  • BryanPsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work Alvoro, mind if I ask what's the size of this illustration? Thanks.
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ethird Thanks!

@Tierzilla, You're welcome ^^ and yes i do have a portafolio, since you ask, here is the link. https://www.behance.net/wip/808091 (direct link to the all of the screenshots of the process that i've uploaded here ^^)

@BryanPsy Thanks man! and yes it's 7937x4925 300 dpi, it's bigger than i use to, but it's due the constant crop and recomposition i did on early stages of the process. usually i go for 2500x2500 300 dpi on a early stage, for sketches. when i have decided the compo i re size the canvas till the height or the width hit 4000 pixles ^^ (always 300 dpi)
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok! last wip i think,

here is the full compo, not goint to add more elements (i think) and im still thinking about if ill flip the canvas or not. but i like this one a bit more, for some reasons based on the direction we read books,etc etc. if i kept this one, i feel more like she is walking forward and the wind is against she. Let me know what you think, C&C are welcome, as always ^^

1559349.546f53eea7f26.jpg
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some changes based on a feedback i got: "Head and Hips looks painted onto the wall" and " the pink/rose color should bounce on some parts of She"

so, i tryied to make a back light to pop out the head and give more volumen to the hips.

Also, ill try to paint a "Wall texture" to the wall, because it may look flat or not like a "stone wall"
    giphy.gif
  • bloecher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so cool, and it gets better and better :)
  • mechbunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow this is lovely~! *~* you have such a unique style! I love the colors for this! Looking forward to seeing the final. :D
  • askooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting rendering style. I like it! :)
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! ^^ it's been a while

@Bloecher Thanks! hope you like this new changes i've done ^^
    @Mechbunnies and @Askooz Thanks guys!

ok, so now im pretty sure this is the final Wip, next one gonna be the final Image, minimal changes i guess... well sice the last wip i uploaded i've done lots of little changes, stuff like rendering again some textures and paiting with other colors, changing a bit the light on some areas, also i've worked on the composition with those curtains pieces

1604627.5487b961d115f.jpg
  • Li Siegfried
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! It's incredibly amazing! :o
  • Sui Nakigai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great really :9 Awesome color choices and rendering.
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Li Siegfried and @Sui Nakigai Thanks guys! ^^
  • Jan-Wes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your piece so far! Really love the jade feeling of that armor piece
    on the shoulder and the weapon. Those eyes are amazing, too. Really like that arrogant look on her face.

What kinda stuck out to me though, was that the blade of the weapon kind of looks
    like it juts out of the hilt on a different angle than that handguard piece seems
    to indicate that it should be. But I really only noticed on a second look.
    The other thing i noticed was, that I feel that if you moved the right hand cloth banner more away in space from the wall, then you could create a really nice cast shadow and give the environment more depth.

Keep it up :)
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeaah, it's been a problem make the blade look like it's going with the perspective, towar to the camera, gonna keep paiting there then ^^ and im totally going to paint the cloth banner separated from the wall :) Thanks Jan-Wes!
  • MiliKoey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great perspective!!
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, very little changes since the last update, i separated the curtain from the wall and painted till i feel the weapon looks like it's going with the perspective towards the camera, as Jan-wes Suggested me.

i'll wait till tomorrow to submit my illustration. C&C Are welcome!

1613935.548d10bcbc3bd.jpg
  • Alvaro.Knot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well! i already submit my entry to the contest, so that's it, Thanks all for the feedbacks and the nice comments ^^ best of the luck for all
  • Icesoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck, i just love your work, it's amazing :)
  • Cajne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cajne polycounter lvl 2
    Me encanta. Good job, Alvaro! :)