Home Technical Talk

How long do average/professional modelers spend re-topologising?

ImmortalEmperor
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ImmortalEmperor polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycount,

Longtime stalker/admirer/hobby modeler here. I'm currently working on my honours thesis in Computer Science and while I'm well versed on the professional pipelines and how long its takes me to go from high poly sculpt to game ready model, for purpose of my thesis, I was wondering what the average time an amateur, or time expected time for any professional out there, spends on the re-topology stage (excluding UVing and baking)?

I'm hoping to keep it pretty loose so re-topology for current/next-gen, hero-characters/mobile/environmental. I'm just looking for any kind of ball park figure (minutes, hours, days or even weeks) to compare with for justification of research.

I've looked around at GDC and SIGGRAPH presentations and papers but other than outlining the pipelines themselves not had any luck with finding any recorded numbers. If anyone knows of some guidelines that are publicly available that would certainly help as well.

Anyhow thanks in advance.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on the specific artist, the tools used, and the type and complexity of the asset.

It could be as little as an hour or so or as much as a few days, even a week depending on all sorts of factors.

What purpose does knowing this number serve you?
  • ImmortalEmperor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm writing a GPU powered particle system to decimate meshes, hoping to speed up the pipeline as a whole, it be nice to have numbers as justification but not completely necessary. Bit of a curiosity if there is some kind of professional guide lines. I know people like to say when its done; but I'm sure somewhere there is some kind of crunch time expectation.

I guess for the sake of simplicity the hero character(round 20,000 tris optimized) or something of equivalent level of complexity.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    to long... :(

(about maybe a day to a week depending on complexity)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I've just finished retopologizing some sculpted curly hair. That took me about 3.5 hours to get to the final polycount of around 1700 polys. That's an extreme example since it was retopo'ed from scratch without re-using bits of a base mesh. It also doesn't have a nice regular surface so most of it was done painstakingly vert by vert.

Doing something like a shirt for a modular character system would generally only take around half an hour to an hour, since I'd most likely be using my lowest subdivision level from Zbrush as a starting point. When you've got a load of quads in rows and columns it's easy to roughly draw in quads and use brush-based tools to relax the mesh into clean, even topology.

Will your system take into account animation requirements? Simply lowering the polycount of the mesh is not enough. It needs to have artist controlled parameters for making animation-friendly topology.

Finally, just a personal peeve of mine. "Decimation" means to reduce by 1/10th. Somehow it's come to mean something else. /rant
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    A lot of time. Less when you have good basemeshes that you can use for low poly
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Humans I usually have a good base to start from so that is under a day. From scratch... 3-5 days???

Monsters and stuff without a base I usually get pressured to hurry up if it goes past 3 days.

Sucks.
  • ImmortalEmperor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will your system take into account animation requirements? Simply lowering the polycount of the mesh is not enough. It needs to have artist controlled parameters for making animation-friendly topology.

Hypothetically works like mayas quad draw using surface complexity (using gaussian curvature) to populate particles that are used as verticies. In the theisis its just proof of concept but if I get to take it further id like it to take a rig as input aswell
    Finally, just a personal peeve of mine. "Decimation" means to reduce by 1/10th. Somehow it's come to mean something else. /rant

Yeah not sure why its often referred to as decimation; in my paper I refer to it more as geometric simplification or optimization.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I blame the "I mostly use zBrush" community for that one.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The definition of decimation was altered long before zbrush was created :P