Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - Progress Thread

Hey guys, my name is Leo, I go by Neebler on LoL.

Currently working on some composition sketches for a piece featuring my favorite void monster, Cho'gath, fighting Fizz and his shark buddy. I will post sketches as I continue to iterate on image layout and conveyance of story.

Feedback/criticism is encouraged, thanks!

Replies

• Pierson3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't remember where I saw it but I'm pretty sure they want you to focus on a single character. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great I just wouldn't want your effort to be wasted. :D
  • awied18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Create a high resolution character illustration of any champion or set of champions from the League of Legends world
  • Neebler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, here's my sketch so far. The readability is meh right now but hopefully you can get the gist of the composition and such.

I'm not really looking for comments about the rendering or quality yet. (It's still a sketch!) Just feedback on the layout, character anatomy/style, questions or confusion about the image, etc. Looking forward to it, thanks!
  • 237DOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I´m actually no LoL player, so I can´t say too much about the chars yet (gotta inform myself a bit).
    Since it´s pretty rough I can only state one thing that immediately popped out to me.
    The hero in front of the moon / (sun?), seems way too small for a hero. I saw the original artwork and isn´t the guy a bit bigger? I mean he´s still small and even with perspective and foreshortening and everything, kinda too small somehow. Furthermore since he´s in the golden ratio section, he should be bigger and thus more detailed.

What I like so far is the slight angle of the composition, gives it more of a dynamic feel.

Hope it helps you, not trying to be mean ;)
  • Neebler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, definitely helps. A friend pointed this out to me earlier as well so I plan on scaling him up (if I end up going with this idea...which is becoming less likely.) Thanks for the tip, cheers.
  • Neebler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to scrap the Cho'gath/Fizz idea, now I'm going with a battle scene between Riot Graves, Blitzcrank, Braum (and maybe Singed) VS. Battlecast Cho'gath, Kog'maw and Vel'koz. I'll have some sketches posted later.
  • RedDawnWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds like a big undertaking. I hope you can finish in time since it sounds pretty epic with all those characters. Can't wait to see the sketches. :)