Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest] - Jinx [Original Arcade Skin]

Hey Guys! I plan on doing Evelynn later, but I just so happened to be in the middle of a "Arcade Jinx" Illustration! I am new to Polycount, but if I can find a way to link or upload videos, I have recorded my process. I'm about halfway through atm.

Here is where I am at. I will come link the videos later when they are uploaded to Youtube. I would also love some feedback especially on colour choice. Her beige leather bands right now don't look right to me. Should the be a different colour?

2czcayx.jpg

Replies

• awied18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing but make sure to check out the rules cause they said it has to be brand new art and cant be previous art
  • AdrenalineAngel
    awied18 wrote: »
    Looks amazing but make sure to check out the rules cause they said it has to be brand new art and cant be previous art

Ah! I will have to check it out. I just wonder if it counts since I just started this and it isn't yet finished? I'll visit the Q and A page. Thank you for letting me know!
  • Domax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice concept! I too have some original idea, but I don't know if we are allowed to do that. I asked the question in the Q&A thread. When I will have an answer I will contact you if you want :)
  • AdrenalineAngel
    Thanks! I will be thankful if you could let me know! I know that the character artists can, so I wouldn't understand why we wouldn't be?
  • Neebler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heyo, nice start!

I think your skin concept is going in a great direction, Jinx seems perfect for an arcade skin. There are a few fundamental things I've noticed that I just want to throw out there. Don't take any of this personally, it's all just to help you out.

Faces are hard to get right, but you HAVE to get them right, or else it throws off the whole piece. It doesn't matter if her outfit is a masterpiece, people are very familiar with faces, and if the face isn't believable, that's not good news.

Which brings me to my main point, there are several areas of her face which seem off, particularly her nose and lips. Essentially, the shot you have is looking down on her, a bird's eye view. (Which is an interesting and dynamic angle!) Thusly, we would be looking down at the top of her nose, which means that her nostril would NOT be in view, as you currently have it. This causes her nose to seem severely up-turned and snobbish.

Secondly, her lips don't really match the contour of her jaw. They seem to be pointing a little bit downward. Also, you will notice that everyone's lips have a little "notch" in the center of the upper lip, don't leave that out!

Anyways, I don't want to pick this image apart forever. My suggestion to you is looking up female face references, try and find some at a similar angle to the one you've chosen, or just look at some of Jinx's splashes.

Best of luck, hope this helps.

- Neebler
  • 237DOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neebler is 100% right with his statements, read them carefully!
    The face in a character concept, at least in the final image, is everything. If this looks wrong, the rest doesn´t really matter anymore.
    There are also some anatomical issues, concerning her left (seen from us the right) upper leg.. feels too thin to me, especially in the upper part (try to get reference here!).
    I have two tips for you:
    1) Reference and basic knowledge: Look up "Andrew Loomis" on youtube, and try this method for the head.
    2) Flip your canvas horizontally all the time. You will see mistakes immediately (this doesn´t only apply for faces).

Not trying to mock your piece, I think it has a lot of potential :)

Keep it up!
  • Guiff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think her skin is more like a light blue than a natural human skin color
  • Dante Corvus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice concept but the face doesn't look like
  • AdrenalineAngel
    I actually have to scrap this since I started a day before the contest (it would have been a wonderful coincidence). I may start a new piece on this idea, since I already have the concept ironed out, but I also want to make a rework for Evelynn. I will continue this thread if I start a new peice.

Thank you for the feedback! I will keep it in mind when I work on the new illustrations!

I'm good at drawing facial features but once there is an angle involved it goes out the window XD I didn't use a real human as reference, so I definitely will to make sure I get the face right this time!
  • KemoPaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really love the concept, but there should be an indent on her upper ab area. Because of her pose, some of her ribs should be sticking out. :P
    Good job on the boots though, the colors look awesome!
  • AdrenalineAngel
    Thanks for the feedback! I started my Evelynn "Visual Update" thread and if I finish her in time I will make a new Arcade Jinx :D