Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Skarner

It's been so long since I did any serious 3D work, and now that I start getting back into it, they go and announce this awesome contest! I'm PUMPED

I'm gonna be doing my personal favorite: Skarner, the Crystal Vanguard!
Skarner_0.jpg

Replies

• SurvivorX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I spent all day yesterday coming up with concept ideas and cool stuff, only to decide overnight I didn't like it. Or rather, I liked it, but it was missing something. The idea I was tossing around was sort of a generic "monstrous" skarner interpretation, perhaps focusing on his rampage upon awakening in Kalamanda, but it didn't really pop to me. It was still awesome ideas, but generically so.

So, I started tossing around other ideas to do with it, preferably something I could use that wouldn't completely eradicate the concept ideas I'd already come up with. And one idea that struck me was of the rhino in the Get Jinxed video, with all the graffiti over it.

league_of_legends_music__get_jinxed_mp4_snapsh_by_desolator288-d6pwsph.jpg

And so I thought, what if that happened to Skarner? Like, if Jinx started scribbling all over him, maybe strapping guns and bombs and stuff to him? So, I think that's what I'll do - Vandalized Skarner!

I'm putting together my finalized concept art, hope to have it done soon so I can get to modeling! I'll be away from my internet for the next week or so, but I'll still have my laptop so I can still get some art done in the meantime, even if I can't post it til I get back!
  • SurvivorX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress is a little slow (partially due to hunting trip, partially due to the fact that I'm still learning Maya), but here is my progress thus far:

28r0h3b.png

The shell so far is lacking a bit in detail, but I also want to leave it with plenty of flat areas to have painted-on details (writings and graffiti by Jinx)

The tail was a bit of a trick; I ended up making one tail segment and then exporting it to Blender so I could use the Array and Curve modifiers to wrap it up and around to mock-up how it'll look in the final version. Anyone know if there's a command to do this in Maya so I'm not importing/exporting stuff back and forth just to get it to work?
  • SurvivorX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on this, despite the fact that everyone else's work is so much better than mine it causes physical pain :P

243f815.png
    At this point its sort of a hodgepodge of temporary blockout geometry and highpoly stuff, and I haven't even started on the head yet, but here's how it is thus far. Not nearly as far along as I'd like, but now that midterms are over hopefully I can devote more time to this and get more done.

I'm dropping the "Jinx vandalized him" look and instead going for the standard skin, but with a slightly beefier look overall rather than the limbs being too skinny for the giant claws attached to them.