Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Franken Annie

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    annie is looking great. there are a few things that stick out to me about tibbers:
    -his stitches on his head look like they're glowing, or at least they dont match from his hands (which also have 2 different colors).
    -his fur is looking a bit too plain considering its all one color,. you may want to do some slight hue shifts or maybe even just color the ao/lightmap so it softens up those darker recessed areas.
    -youve got a few artifacts from your lightmap/normal map (bolts on his head, weirdness going on with his claws).
    -since his pants are a bit dark, maybe make them a little bight of a lighter color. maybe even a blue? instead of just grey. annie really pops when in front of him, from head to toe. whereas your gradient on tibbers seems to be way too dark.
    -his teeth/tongue kind of feel like they were painted on after the fact. very bright solid colors. they should have some shadowing from being inside the mouth.
    -the shadow being cast from his arm should be extremely softened or gotten rid of entirely. i think its contributing heavily to him being too dark.

for the teddy:
    -make him hang. he's defying gravity :P
    -thats a pretty nasty light seam running down his side, id say either paint it or rebake that.

as for your presentation, id honestly say make your text and logos smaller, and reduce the amount of grunge in the background. you want all of the focus for this to be on the main subject, not whats going on around it. id save wires for their own sheet entirely. put these guys against a nice color/gradient background with a low opacity grunge, some vignette, and keep your text minimal and out of the way. use these as an example

https://pp.vk.me/c624421/v624421531/dc69/UL-8_01mo50.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/HhWH1sC.png

gl. its comin out great so far. just keep pushing.
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    For the polycount logo, remove the two squares on the right, they were color swatches for Dominance war! :-P
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    thanx for the great feedback. Im running out of time and im working on a freelance that i have to turn in this week as well.... so Im trying to fix as much as possible :)

so kinda juggling fixing the textures and at the same time coming up with a good presentation.

this is what i got so far.

***** its really hard to fit all 3 front and back because tibbers is so huge... so im working on a solution but any ideas would be great.

I did fix some of the issues Oniram and Goldo mentioned. still a few to fix.

what i go so far. (in game shot will be done last)

Pose_High.jpg

Pose_A.jpg

Pose_Wires.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I actually asked if we can do separate sheets for annie and tibbers and they said it was fine. I'm not sure how the submission process works so hopefully we can still turn in our sheets even though we will have twice as many.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh wrote: »
    I actually asked if we can do separate sheets for annie and tibbers and they said it was fine. I'm not sure how the submission process works so hopefully we can still turn in our sheets even though we will have twice as many.

yeah that kinda worries me. i dont want my submission to be like 10 sheets :/ how are you going to turn this in? Im thinking for now ill just keep it as is to save the judges going through so many shots.

on a side note: Im working on some highpoly renders and still cleaning up tibbers textures.

this one might be a bit to dark - going to play with the lighting

Highpoly.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALL DONE! So much work and learning and getting past obstacles and such... man.... lol thank you all for the nice comments and support and all the help :) much much appreciated! ive learned a ton!!!

I wish I would of had another week but overall im super proud I got to finish this :) my very 1st complete game character. <3

Here are my final comps -

CompShot.jpg
    Annie_Low.jpg

Tibbers_Low.jpg

Pose_Wires.jpg

TibbersInGameComp.jpg

High_Annie.jpg

High_Tibbers.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    That's pretty much exactly how I did my sheets. Congrats on finishing man!
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah followed the advise and separated some of the maps. Thank you (:
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    looks good Diego!
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good man!
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sprunghunt - @Cordell

thanx guys :)

I know im still more comfortable with making high poly models/assets but this was really great. I enjoyed getting out of my comfort zone and try something new. :)
  • FrankieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankieD polycounter lvl 2
    Nice work my friend!
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx buddy (:
  • Waterbear
  • DiegoTeran