Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Greg Westphal

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, going to try and give this contest a shot. I just graduated FZD and am in the process of job hunting so I have some free time.

For me it always takes a few iterations before I design something even I want to look at so I went ahead and cranked out some thumbnails. I took the best 3 and flushed them out a bit more. No perspective yet because I am still trying to solve some questions for myself like "Do the towers need to be magical? Do they need to be statues? Exactly how far can I push the silhouette before it doesn't read in the MOBA camera?" Going to keep trying to work through some of these while I keep thumbnailing.

Wish everyone the best of luck in this. Cheers.

e9FRIzV.jpg

Replies

• SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    These are super nice! I feel like the first one is the most like the other turrets, but that tree one would look super cool! As far as "do they need to be magical" they do need to be able to fire a projectile. At least the ones in game do anyway!
  • CocoaCup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CocoaCup polycounter lvl 6
    Love the last one !
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SaferDan - Thanks man, I was just pondering if the projectile had to be magical? For the pirate themed one in the middle I had the idea of the cannons rotating around to shoot at things things. But it is Summoner's Rift and perhaps the projectile should stay more magic based.

@CocoaCup - Thanks. It was actually the quickest one for me to do because it didn't pose any difficult design problem and I didn't need to emulate an artform like the first. However, most of the time the simplest designs are the best.

Gonna have to head to bed soon, but I look forward to giving these fresh eyes tomorrow.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I dont think they have to be magical, there are guns and cannons in the game so I would say no!
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    The second one reminds me of Bilgewater.
  • Guiff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome concept art! But since a tree seems to be a pretty popular base (already saw a thew tree sketches) I would go for one of the others.
  • Soy13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the first tower even admit some animations! (like a rock giant). Nice work man!
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MN0hPz0.jpg

Hey guys, quick update. After barfing out those initial designs yesterday I wanted to take a bit more indepth approach to what i wanted to create. I played a little bit of LoL (I stopped playing sometime right after vayne) and wanted to get reacquainted with the feel. Then I did a bit of reading into the lore and tried to find some of the aspects of the game that interested me.

I decided that I would try to do it themed off of 1 of 4 of the cultures of Bilgewater, Damacia, Freljord or Zuan. Since the concept art for these cultures is very hard to come by and mostly production paintings with nothing too well defined I have to do a lot of exploration with thumbnailing. Add to that, the suspension of disbelief is different in the production paintings than in the Moba itself and I'm spending a lot of time asking myself questions with exactly how far I can stretch their style.

Overall though decent day of thumbnailing and I decided to polish up a bit of what I worked on for Bilgewater today for you to enjoy. Take it easy.
  • Rnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rnz polycounter lvl 8
    Love it man! Looks gorgeous.
  • shaderMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow. cant wait to see this evolve
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rnz and shaderMonkey - Thanks guys. Going to start on Zuan today I think. I'm in the process of moving back from Singapore to the States so my work over the next few days may come in staggered.
  • Khronos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khronos polycounter lvl 9
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, quick update. My stylus crapped out on me as soon as I got to the airport so I'm left with a 35 hour travel time where I can't do work. Going to try and find a sketchbook though so I can keep chugging away. Gotta get what is in my head on paper ASAP.
  • Sekoran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sekoran polycounter lvl 4
    Lovely concept there, love the details and style. Hope you manage to find a sketchbook though :<
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Man, that concept is so clean. Looking forward to how this turns out.
  • Rnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rnz polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Greg, did you make it back? Hope your flight went well!
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man, thanks for asking. Ended up finding a small sketchbook and doodled around a bit. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to though cause I'm one of those people who just passes out on airplanes. Going to be unpacking and shit today but if I don't at least have a phone picture of stuff up today yell at me.
  • Rnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rnz polycounter lvl 8
    Okay man, I will!
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    I just want to make sure you saw this post with the update to the rules:

Hi everyone,

At Riot Games, we have a very strong feedback culture. We pivot and make adjustments when things can be done better or are not working. In the spirit of this culture and after internal conversations with feedback from the community, we have decided to make some tweaks to the environment section of the contest. You can now choose to create the turret or the inhibitor rather than being required to create both. We want to make sure we are giving everyone enough time to create assets that you are proud of and able to finish in time for the December 19th deadline.

We are also tweaking the animation com petition and not have animators pick an established character since animating a specific character without the exact model will be difficult. We want to see solid animations that are keeping the animation style of LoL in mind when creating these ability assets.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

-Kenny