Home Technical Talk

Low frame rate in Maya viewport 2.0

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
joarwho polycounter lvl 5
Hi,
I'm currently using Maya 2015 on a pretty new computer. I am using viewport 2.0 when I am animating and the frame rate jump between 5 and 20 fps, even though I set the animation to be 30 fps. I dunno what the frame rate usually are when I'm working but right now it just feels slow and laggy.

Does anyone have a clue why the viewport are so slow? I also tried to set the renderer to DX11 instead of OpenGL. But didn't notice any difference.

Replies

• GlowingPotato
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    What is your computer specs ?

Are you animating vertex or bones ?

Do you have service pack 4 installed ?
  • joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    What is your computer specs ?

Are you animating vertex or bones ?

Do you have service pack 4 installed ?

16 gb RAM, AMD FX eight core-processor 3.50 ghz, Nvidia Geforce GTX 770

Bones. It feels really slow when I'm moving multiple keyframes and It's really hard to get the timing in the animation since the animations are playing so slow :(

I just installed the latest service pack. No difference in performance I'm afraid.

Edit: According to Autodesk application manger I only have service pack 1 and 4 installed. Do I need to install 2 and 3, or are they included in the latest update?
  • GlowingPotato
    Offline / Send Message
    nah, only te sp 4....

Are you using smooth preview (number 3 key) when animating ?
  • joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    nah, only te sp 4....

Are you using smooth preview (number 3 key) when animating ?

Thanks for your fast replies btw. I really appreciate your help.

No I'm not using smooth preview. But I found a post on the official Auotdesk forum where a guy had a similar problem as me and he also have the exact same graphic card as me. I'm starting to believe that the issue is somehow related to my graphic card.
  • GlowingPotato
    Offline / Send Message
    What about your graphics card driver ? If you have the last one, try rolling back a few versions.
  • joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    What about your graphics card driver ? If you have the last one, try rolling back a few versions.

No luck. Thanks for the help though. I tried upgrading, rebooted the computer. Didn't work. I tried downgrading, rebooted. Didn't work. This problem is starting to piss me off. At home I'm using a computer (with a mobile graphic card) far worse than the computer I'm using at the office.. and at home I get 30 fps :poly127:
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    What performance in Legacy Default Render and Legacy High Quality Render?
    Maybe try changing from OpenGL to DirectX renderer for the viewport. Remember to restart Maya for this to take effect. You can find this in the Preferences under Display at the very bottom.
  • joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde wrote: »
    What performance in Legacy Default Render and Legacy High Quality Render?
    Maybe try changing from OpenGL to DirectX renderer for the viewport. Remember to restart Maya for this to take effect. You can find this in the Preferences under Display at the very bottom.

The performance was slightly worse in Legacy viewport. But the animations were still sluggish when I played them and when I moved the time-slider. I just uninstalled Maya and I'm now trying to install Maya again.. but I can't. Because I keep getting a "communication failure"-error... . . .. Man I love Autodesk!!

Edit: Nvm. The browser download seem to be working. Let's see if all this trouble solve the framerate issue.