Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gun High Poly - H&K G3 Wood Furniture - Critiques Welcome

Here are the goods. Probably going to be a while before I finish the baked and textured asset. First gun, it was challenging and fun.

I'm interested in any critiques or questions.

z2kyPZe.jpg
3TL7INN.jpg
1Sj87aT.jpg
EHEhsVz.jpg
sOuyuJQ.jpg
mSDfpxs.jpg
UoUXjSD.jpg
50eR7Az.jpg
JUoRPZp.jpg
MHc31wY.jpg
09rvR7b.jpg

Replies

• Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Nice Mod but the texture need's more love. I can't tell what it's made out off. Keep it up ! :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The flash suppressor and the ejection port both seem to have some problems in the normal map.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    The model is great, love the detail and the dynamic shots!

I am not fully familiar with this gun and don't have the ref you were looking at. These are my initial thoughts on the materials and lighting.

1. The lighting is getting blown out and flattening out the detail and material reads.

2. In some shots the black painted metal is reading as black paint that's glossy and in others it shows a lot of grey to white white. More often than not on a gun the black painted metal is more matte looking.

3. Handle is very glossy almost reading as a shiny plastic.

4. Possibly push more contrast and separation between each part of the gun. For example, tweak the value and material a bit on the magazine.

Cant wait to see it fully fleshed out :-)
  • JTerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even though these are just high poly shots, I was trying to establish material properties to guide my texturing process, so these critiques are super helpful. I'll keep them in mind when I get around to texturing. Thanks.
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    Solid execution, details seem pretty spot on, well done man. Going to echo Josh's comment about lighting looking a little blown out in the renders and I know they're just high poly materials for presentation sake but Josh's points about materials might be worth addressing for a sexier presentation. As for the model my two main concerns are edge thickness, it gets a little tight in a few areas, most importantly around the rear sight. Couldn't hurt to exaggerate it a little more. The other is not really that big of a deal but your handguard has those holes which you just drilled straight in. Depending on the angle you'd see this from in view, it might be nice to get a hint of its actual thickness. Which you can see from the image below is fairly thin. Although if you get a good view of how it might look in player hands and you can't even tell then maybe it's not worth the fix, you'll have to be the judge. Can't wait to see the baked down version, love the look of the G3 and I think you nailed the stamped steel!

pFDjexh.png
  • JTerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I think I might just build the correct depth into the low-poly and not worry too much about it being represented in the high.