Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate House Handpainted

Hey guys, I could use some help with my textures for my pirate house. This is for a uni project. Any suggestions on how to make the textures pop? Or make the whole thing actually look good :( It only has a diffuse texture so far and although it kind of looks like the concept I feel like it lacks something...
So yea if someone knows a bit more about hand painted textures, I am grateful for every advice :)

EzBlRLs.jpg

concept

f68473197d2b8fc29dc3d0244cf889b0.jpg

Replies

• rory
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Throw up some flats of your textures for us. Also what is the goal? You say you only have diffuse texture so far. Does that mean you plan on adding normals and spec? One thing that would really help is finding similar hand-painted art with a style your trying hit. (I think something like ninokuni would be worth taking a look at. The backgrounds in that game were very loose but playful with their colors. I think it would work well with that concept.)
  • foreverlost
    There are a couple of bits of good news and those are that the concept is great and fun, and that your diffuse textures are a good start.

How much of the background were you planning on doing? I'd at least get that base in there of the rock and the tree. If you can get just a bit of the ocean going so you can show the deck with the spindly legs, that would be preferable.

If you need some encouragement on getting it to pop more before moving along with the rest of the details, maybe try to get some specular in there, especially on the gold rim areas.

Really I'd say just keep it moving and keep updating... liking it so far!

~Ronnie
  • sky.x
    Rory- I am going to add a spec map, not sure about normal. I wasnt going to add one but I will see later. Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at the game and it does seem to fit quite well.

foreverlost- Yea I already got the everything modelled that is in the concept so hopefully I can get it all textured and looking nice.
    Yes, will put a spec map on, thanks for the feedback :)

Small progress from today. Texturing the ship right now, I think it is looking a bit better now... still a long way to go though.

JTxp9YJ.jpg