Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Switching from Blender to Maya 2015

rbong obong
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
rbong obong polycounter lvl 8
So i started this tread for help on moving from blender (which i have experience in and i know pretty much all the hotkeys for modelling) to maya. at first sight maya seems quite confusing and after watching some tutorials i wondered if i could be productive using it as it seems to take many keystrokes or clicks to make something and it does not seem to have as much control of your mesh than blender.

are there any blender users who have switched to maya who could help me out?
and how long would it take me to be productive in maya?

thanks.

Replies

• Cluly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender is pretty much designed from the ground up to use hotkeys and be very fast, it has its problems though, the learning curve is a little more tricky and its difficult for people coming from the opposite direction as your self Maya/3D Max > Blender.

Maya will probably feel quiet cumbersome to start with, but that won't take long, keep at it. May I ask why not use both? It's not like Blender costs anything anyway. Both are great programs and you should use both to their full potential.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I actually switched to Blender from Maya, but when I switched from 3ds max to Maya I can say that after getting used to using Maya I got more productive once I started to use scripts to improve my workflow in various ways. If there is a specific task that seems slow look into seeing if there are any python or mel scripts that will do what you need.
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    Cluly wrote: »
    May I ask why not use both? It's not like Blender costs anything anyway. Both are great programs and you should use both to their full potential.

Well since hes switching to Maya I would assume hes orienting his learning toward the industry standard. Blender is a great program--the only problem is there isn't really a major game studio that implements it into their pipeline. Becoming dependent on it could cause problems if you were (and more than likely would be) working in a studio that didn't use Blender.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    I mostly use Maya now, switched from using 3ds Max for my job mainly. It literally took one week to get to grips with it and feel comfortable using the intermediate-level tools inside it.
    If there is any reason to make the change from Blender, it's to learn the industry standard programs like Maya, 3ds Max and increasingly more Modo.
  • rbong obong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rbong obong polycounter lvl 8
    hey guys thanks for the great advice. as i said im focusing on modelling for now and was wondering how modelling translates from blender to maya and i id rather use just on software instead of using blender for modelling and maya for the other stages in the pipline. im completely self taught so i was looking to the web for tutorials of maya modelling and so far it seems too take really long to model things.