Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(UE4) Fantasy Forest

Hey guys, heres a level we have been working on for a few weeks. Trying to create a creepy, moody environment with some fantasy elements. I've attached two reference images of my main inspiration and the follow images are my WIP. Any advice, question, or critique would be greatly appreciated :)

-Tanner

Reference
pwSThuD.jpg
JdqVmdd.jpg

Current WIP
KO1q2Ei.jpg
ylcHe0A.jpg
MDejao5.jpg
uGN7Kjh.jpg

Replies

• Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking cool. Maybe add some branches and leaves to some of them? Also maybe try and change up the silhouette on them a bit and make some more thicker than others?

I think this is going in the right direction though. :)
  • Shurkuris
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    Since your environment is cloudy, you should tone down the shadows on your trees.

Your 2 reference images show this, their are no sharp shadows to speak off.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I think that fog is way too dense; which usually means the artist is concealing mistakes. Maybe tone down the opacity or change the fog's color from white to light grey? Or lower the fog volume so you just have a gentle fog on the ground but your skill set on the lush forest is still visible? I dunno, just brainstorming on how to maintain your atmospheric mood while showcasing your skillset a little more.
  • DWalker
    You really won't see that much grass in a dense forest. Take a look at the concepts; in the first, the ground cover is made of ferns, while in the other the ground is covered with fallen leaves.

The thin trunks are young plants; they really should have branches and leaves along the trunk.

The trunks are missing any sort of roots; even in the first image the trunks thicken at the base although the roots themselves are hidden by the ground cover.

You images lacks the variety of color in the concepts. In the first, the greens are vibrant but relieved by the blue flowers and the orange path, while the second is primarily filled with bright fall colors and the occasional bit of green from the moss. The rocks could certainly add some variety, but their current greenish hue just sort of fades into the background.