Home Technical Talk

Giving UV Faces of Beveled edges breathing room, how?

Hello,
In Maya, I often use multi-segmented beveled edges but the trouble that I have is when I flatten the UV Shells of the mesh in Headus UVLayout, the faces of the beveled edge come out really tightly packed so that they're not one pixel across even at higher resolution.

Is there an automated way in Headus or Maya to spread out UV's, possibly by assigning some kind of minimum value?

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    That never happened to me in Headus. Can you upload the mesh somewhere so we could take a look at it?
  • Badsearcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an example mesh where the UV shells have a tendency to pack tightly together. Cheers!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104089847/BevelExample.obj
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the problem is that you try to unwrap a very high res mesh with a lot of really tight edges. You should relax those edges or unwrap it differently, for example you can cut it in parts and unwrap as strings rather than circles. Unwrap itself works as it should, it's your mesh is at fault here.
  • Badsearcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No no, I figured as much. I wasn't blaming headus per se, I know it's acting rationally.

What I want to know is if there exists an easy way of spreading the uv edges out from each other, either in Maya or Headus.

The pack feature in headus has a variable input for minimum pixels amount of bleed between different shells. What I want is ideally something kind of like that but for the internal of shells where no face would be less than x amount of pixels across relative to the expected resolution of the map.

So far I spread these uv's out manually but it is a lot of work. Heck, I'd even settle for some kind of brush that just easily spreads uvs apart from each other. Any ideas? I suspect there's probably a script that does something like what I'd like but I really don't know under what terms to search for it.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No no, I figured as much. I wasn't blaming headus per se, I know it's acting rationally.

What I want to know is if there exists an easy way of spreading the uv edges out from each other, either in Maya or Headus.

The pack feature in headus has a variable input for minimum pixels amount of bleed between different shells. What I want is ideally something kind of like that but for the internal of shells where no face would be less than x amount of pixels across relative to the expected resolution of the map.

So far I spread these uv's out manually but it is a lot of work. Heck, I'd even settle for some kind of brush that just easily spreads uvs apart from each other. Any ideas? I suspect there's probably a script that does something like what I'd like but I really don't know under what terms to search for it.
    I don't think that there's anything like that in Headus. You can do that manually in Maya/Max pretty easily in their UV editors by just selecting edge loops and scaling them or something. I dunno if there's any reason to move those edges at all, because if you move them other faces will receive inappropriate amount of skewing and texture density that won't be consistent with everything else.
  • Badsearcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, well, thank you for your time and perspective.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Well were you going to texture that thin line differently ? If not then it does not matter, the specular highlights will catch the bevel no matter how thin it is on your texture, as it follows the actual geometry