Home Quixel Megascans

1.5 PREVIEW AVAILALBE NOW (Updated October 14)

Hey guys!

Time to try something new! We're rolling out the new build in about a week, but since you are so active in the forums I wanted to give you some early access. A few surprise features are still to come -- this preview will however introduce a number of significant improvements:
  • MASSIVE speed improvements
  • Much higher previewing quality
  • Fixed GGX export issues (Courtesy of Eric Williams)
  • Fixed crash when generating projects on CS3-CS6
  • Fixed issue with IDs getting jumbled on reimport
  • PNG export now supports alpha as transparency (Courtesy of NoiseCrime)
  • Fixed texture intensity tweaking bug for Metalness workflow
  • Fixed crash when bumping 16 bit normals
  • Fixed not being able to run the Suite if already running
  • Fixed x86 installer issues
The most notable improvement is instant previewing, greatly speeding up the general workflow of both NDO and DDO.

Edit: Updated build with following improvements (October 12):
  • Now possible to set up custom preset directories
  • Fixed all UAC issues
  • Fixed issue with groups/layers not being generated when loading presets
  • Fixed crash when opening 3DO custom loader
  • Dynamask now works for primitives
  • Tint mask support for layered shaders
  • Fixed bug where texture links were not updated in dynamask editor
  • Fixed Smart Material thumb generation bug

Edit #2: Updated build with following improvements (October 13):
  • Fixed 16 bit previewing issue
  • Added support for unlimited color IDs (previously capped at 53)
  • Fixed crashes related to special characters in user file paths
  • Misc crash fixes

Edit #3: Updated build with following improvements (October 14):
  • A whopping 64 new presets & materials
  • Finally: FBX Swatch containing 130+ ID swatches for easy linking
  • Master Presets for automatically creating materials from IDs in the Base Creator
  • Bunch of stability and bug fixes
DOWNLOAD 1.5 PREVIEW

(Make sure any running instance of the SUITE is closed before launching the installer)

Hopefully this build will be the most stable release to date. Any issues, questions or feedback, post it all in this thread!

- Teddy

Replies

• NoiseCrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoiseCrime polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,

I assume this is just an updater/patcher as its only 250Mb download?

Tried running the installer. It asked where to install and gave the default 'C:\Users\Public\Quixel\Suite'. Unfortunately I'd changed the default install location previously to 'H:\Quixel' but that wasn't detected.

So I browse for 'H:\Quixel', the installer puts 'H:\Quixel\' into the install location.

Then I run the installer and got several of the following errors
    eXg8iit.jpg

The first error of this type started in the 'data' folder and then proceeded to another folder I think, until I got this one. Looking at the Quixel folder I can see each folder of the file its complaining about in the error has now been deleted, so its no wonder it can't find the file.

In short something seems to be rather wrong with the installer, unsure if its due to installing into a different location. Will explore a bit, since it looks like I'll have to uninstall then re-install 1.4 to get back the folders that were deleted.

Addendum:
    I uninstalled Quixel and it appears to have deleted all my custom presets, the folders where a custom preset was added remain, just they are all empty. e.g. 'H:\Quixel\script\presets\Master' folder is there, but its empty, likewise 'Material Masks', 'Materials', 'NormalPresets', 'Smart Materials'.

Its as if the installer was designed to not delete user custom presets (as one would expect) but for some reason it left the folders and deleted all the files. Of course its hard to tell at the moment if the 1.5 failed install had anything to do with this or if it is an issue with the uninstaller itself.

Oh and yes i'd backed up all my custom presets and the preset folder prior to trying 1.5 and uninstalling 1.4. Hopefully that is enough to restore my data.
  • NoiseCrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoiseCrime polycounter lvl 6
    Quick Update

I uninstalled Quixel ( it was a full 1.4 install, I only started with 1.4).
    Re-Installed it to 'H:\_Quixel\SUITE', previously i'd just installed it to 'H:\Quixel' no 'SUITE'
    Ran the 1.5 updater
    First time chose 'H:\Quixel' as location, installer warned that I need to choose my install directory and then stopped.
    Second time chose 'H:\_Quixel\SUITE', updater ran fine. No errors.

So either I changed something in my initial install of Quixel ( I did modify the script\calibration\common files and obviously added custom presets) , or perhaps the installer works on the basis that everything is installed from a path of 'Quixel\SUITE' and only having 'Quixel' messed it up somehow?
  • Mr_Lumpkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Lumpkins polycounter lvl 3
    So i came across my first bug. If im working on a new ddo or ndo project, anytime i try and force refresh 3do it tells me to save a psd document. Even after saving, if i try again, it just tells me to save a new one. Hitting cancel on the save prompt just gives me an error saying that the user canceled the request. Interestingly enough, this doesn't happen on any pre-existing projects that i created in 1.4.
  • tomsvilans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there,

I can't seem to get the SUITE working with Photoshop CC 2014. When launching, the toolbar comes up as the Photoshop splash screen displays, but then disappears once Photoshop is loaded. I've tried rebooting and such... Any ideas?
  • tomsvilans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I am having trouble loading the Quixel SUITE into Photoshop CC 2014. The panel appears during loading / Photoshop splash screen, but then disappears as soon as Photoshop loads. Any ideas?
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    try open custom loader in 3do, Quixel suite - crush
    74L14lC.jpg?1
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop CC, Quixel suite x64. And my mesh can not be loaded =(
  • Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not running into any problems as the other guys are on this forum, but I have yet to run into "Instant Previewing." The only way it happens is if I force-refresh after drawing in the texture space.

It's a hell of a lot faster, but it certainly isn't instant if I have to force refresh to get it to go.

Still though, this is a massive improvement over the last version, and I'm more than proud to have bought the product to support this company and the future of Quixel.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    super excited for this! Thanks Quixel! :thumbup:
  • blumoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The improvements sounds fantastic, but can I ask why the suite now requires Java? I usually prefer not to install Java on my PC, so I'm curious to know how the requirement came about. Keep up the great work.
  • tomsvilans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdly enough, the Suite seems to load fine now... Maybe it was a matter of a couple of restarts.

Now, however, I cannot create a base without a Photoshop error: 'System.RuntimeInteropServices.COMException(0x80042260): General Photoshop error occurred. This funcionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop'.

Any way around this?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reports guys -- a new preview is out:

DOWNLOAD 1.5 UPDATE

tomsvilans: You can avoid the problem of the Suite getting behind PS by launching the Suite after PS has been started. As for the error, try downloading the latest update (see first post) and it should hopefully work.

blumoon: Java is not a requirement (you can cancel the Java installer without cancelling the Suite install), but it is now part of the installer since it solves PS communication issues for some users.

Dexyn: Sorry for the confusion -- instant previewing adheres to all tweaks that are made using DDO & NDO; not editing outside the tools.

IlyaIvanovArt: Thanks for the report! The custom loader crash is now fixed. As for the mesh issue, feel free to upload the mesh and we'll take a look right away.

Mr_Lumpkins: I haven't been able to reproduce this -- feel free to grab the new update and let me know if the issue persist.

NoiseCrime: A few tweaks have been made to the installer now. Let me know if you have any issues with the updated installer.

- Teddy
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I am doing wrong?
    ahxWxX7.jpg
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    @IlyaIvanovArt, that's what I got when I had Quixel Suite running while updating it. I thought I had closed it, but apparently I hadn't.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    I noticed on loading ddo the same when setting material links on the color map as it wants to save copys of the maps when creating the base mesh, even tho I clicked cancel on saving the maps. It still loaded but without the materials I set.
    Then I tried to click force 3do and the same thing with it wanting to save the copys of the maps, again canceled and 3do loaded.
    Now I'm still trying to set materials so I clicked the c key and shift click on the color map to set a material and It wants to save copys again...
    Quixel1.5%20revision10.12.2014.jpg

Windows7.x64, photoshop cc
    Cheers,
    ~Tung
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tung! This bug turns out to be related to the project being 16 bit. It has now been fixed and will be part of the next update (due tonight) -- meanwhile 8 bit should work fine.

Thanks again,
    - Teddy
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Hi Teddy,
    Props to you and to all the devs :)
    Now I'm curious as to what's more optimal, 16 bit checked or unchecked? If unchecked it = 32 bit, I'm betting on unchecked.
    <:edited:>
    ooops, after rereading i realized that unchecked is 8 bit.

Also, has obj always been the only mesh import option, I could have sworn fbx was an option, may have been a different prog I was loading.

Again kudos to you all :)

cheers,
    ~Tung
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New build is up! This build hopefully fixes the last known issues with PS connection failure, and tidies up the bugs introduced with the last build.

- Teddy
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [PB]Snoelk polycounter lvl 7
    there is a small script error when exporting Smart Materials.
    Check script\script\funcLib\BaseFunctions.jsx line 9854
    i/*f(docWidth != newWidth || docHeight != newHeight)
    {
    //his = aD.activeHistoryState;
    //aD.resizeImage(newWidth, newHeight, 72, ResampleMethod.BILINEAR); // don't scale styles
    //aD.flatten();
    DuplicateMerged(activeMapType);
    ResizeActiveDocument(newWidth, newHeight);
    }*/
    should be
    /* if(docWidth != newWidth || docHeight != newHeight)
    {
    //his = aD.activeHistoryState;
    //aD.resizeImage(newWidth, newHeight, 72, ResampleMethod.BILINEAR); // don't scale styles
    //aD.flatten();
    DuplicateMerged(activeMapType);
    ResizeActiveDocument(newWidth, newHeight);
    }*/
    that way the rem of the section will work ^^
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Snoelk! New build is up. Lots more than just fixes in this build... check it out!

DOWNLOAD 1.5 UPDATE

- Teddy
  • Mr_Lumpkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Lumpkins polycounter lvl 3
    @Teddy I just wanted to check back in and let you know that the weird saving bug worked itself out for me with the new update. Thanks for all of the hard work!
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    in the latest build, reimport maps options dropdown menu is screwed up it seems now. As some tick boxes are overlaying each other.
  • XemnasKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man this new update is amazing. I love all the new materials that were added. I can't wait for the megascans subscription to be released.
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Daaaaang you guys aren't kidding, this is way faster.
  • rickky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndo doesn't work. i just draw a vector rectangle, waiting a bit, the window of ndo refresh and when I want to change some settings with putting my mouse on the window all the content of this window disepear and I can't do a thing. Hoping you understand me
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    wrong topic, delete pls
  • Chipers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chipers polycounter lvl 5
    rickky wrote: »
    ndo doesn't work. i just draw a vector rectangle, waiting a bit, the window of ndo refresh and when I want to change some settings with putting my mouse on the window all the content of this window disepear and I can't do a thing. Hoping you understand me

I have the exact same problem, NDO does not want to work ...
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    i really really feel sorry for you but there is a small problem :

quixel_suite_register.png

i wish i could read these white text... :|
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the very quick reports. A new build with a number of fixes to the issues reported in this thread has been now been uploaded. You will also find the 30 day trial has been reset for everyone (my apologies for the prior expirations), and the activation UI is no longer broken/unreadable. You will find the build here: http://quixel.se/suite/Install_Quixel_SUITE.zip

Should any issues persist, we have also put up a temporary troubleshooting guide that might help. If it helps to in any way get you back up and running, feel free to let us know what helped you. You will find the guide here: http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsu...roubleshooting

I am on standby and will happily troubleshoot with you live (Skype ID: teddybeargbg) -- let's get these issues sorted ASAP.

Thanks again everyone,
    - Teddy
  • hugojackson18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hugojackson18 polycounter lvl 3
    absolutely loving these new materials. specially the wood amd leather ones! great work guys, cant wait to do some more stuff in DDO!
  • MohsenDehnavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi...
    newest version of quixel suite is 1.6!
    but we should to update it to 1.6!
    please put it Separate.installer with newest version!
    so now what should i do?!
    thanks