Home Quixel Megascans

dDO integration with UE4/Cryengine

Hello,

I am interested in creating a PBR based environment in either UE4 or Cryengine. Specifically, I would like to recreate the process used in Quixel's demo env found in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CeRcJHdJbo

My question is specifically about integration. Does Quixel plug directly into either of these engines, allowing the artist to tweak materials in-engine? For example, in the video @ 0:40 you will see sliders changing the interaction of materials - is this a Cryengine feature, or is that an integrated Quixel feature that is being shown?

As it is now, I use dDO in photoshop and then export->import to UE4. Just wondering if there is a better way.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The blend factor is a CryEngine material feature, not a DDO feature. DDO doesn't plug directly into either engine, but both engines support tweakable materials. UE4 is more flexible than CryEngine with it's materials. You can easily create 2 different materials in DDO and blend between them with a material with some masks and custom parameters.
  • Leto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes perfect sense - thank you!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can do the in-game blending and tweaking using Substance in UE4 if having real time texture tweaking is what you're looking for. Hopefully we'll be able to put a Cryengine plugin together in the future.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for asking Leto!

Like ZacD mentions what you saw is indeed a CryEngine specific feature. We are however stepping up our support for UE4 and CryEngine, and aim to provide full support for both creating and tweaking textures straight inside the engine. We are currently preparing a new Quixel demo for the Marketplace, here's a sneak peek:

quixel_jungle_ue4.jpg

Like Jerc says, it's possible to tweak parameters of substances in UE4. Do note that custom substances have to be created in Substance Designer first though and then exported to UE4, so you will not really be creating the textures inside UE4.

Here is Allegorithmic's latest Substance demo that you can now download from the Marketplace, to tinker with their very latest stock substances. Official screen:

Store_Atlantis_screenshot_06.jpg

Jerc I think you ended up in the wrong forum, here is the Allegorithmic one: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84

- Teddy
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Indeed sorry Teddy, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    The new demo looks great, as usual :)