Home Technical Talk

Need advice on unwrapping a dragon head

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
VonDoom polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone

I have difficulty deciding where to cut the mesh and especially how to get the area around the eyes right without any weird stretching.

If anyone could draw the lines or point out where you'd cut the mesh I'd be really happy :)

I have only used the tools in 3dsMax for now.

Cheers

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whenever I have an area like that eye, where it can't relax properly, I try cutting another seam from there outwards.

So I would start at the outside corner of the eye and follow that edge loop towards the horns. Relax that and see if it works.

You could also try cutting out an eye-patch shape, and then cut across the resulting donut shape, so it can unfold and relax into an arc. The larger hole in the head UVs will also allow that area to smooth out.
  • VonDoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like the last solution was the best one, what do you think? I cut out the small eye dimple though, as it seems it caused a lot of trouble because of the opposing geometry.

I welded the jaw together in front, it seems ok.

eyewrap01.jpg
  • VonDoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thanks ! I stitched some parts together and it does not seem too bad.

But i got an unexpected problem when i imported the model into mudbox though: satansdritt1.jpg

I was extra careful when i buildt this model, but suddenly this happened :( And I can't find the problem either, is there a way to make it display in max? I used xview to find overlapping vertices and such, but seems like there is no way for it to point out this exact problem for me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With areas like the eye, sometimes it helps it relax better if you cap the hole. You can delete the cap afterward.