Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel Suite and Seams

I'm not sure what im asking is related to this thread or not.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139801

I was wondering how you guys deal with the texture seems that arise with using the Suite or most procedural texturing programs in general. I know a lot of this comes down to the strategic unwrapping and placement of UV seems to hide them, but I'm getting confused with how you deal with things like simple cylinders or tubes.

Lemme post a screenie to show what I'm talking about.

vDxJMCQ.png

This is just my pipe model. Now as you can see here, there is a rather obvious seem. How do I get rid of it on all layers simultaneously, in the least painful way possible? I would love to hear your input as I've been really inspired by some of the demo videos of the environments that the Quixel people have showcased.

Replies

• Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    there is no easy way to do this, youll have to paint it out using a projection painting program like mudbox and then copy your projected painting over into the different maps and adjust colors and levels so that they fit in there.
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    Goeddy Is there a way to extract Quixel material textures to use them in Mudbox?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tools for painting out seams in the suite is something we're working on and can hopefully implement soon!
  • nwopolygonshapeshifter
    Tools for painting out seams in the suite is something we're working on and can hopefully implement soon!

chuck-norris-3dcart.jpeg

I would be very interested how you guys plan on implementing something like that. Is this going to be painting straight onto the model say like Mari or Mudbox. I assume you'll have some kind of super algorithm that will either be converting from ptex to regular textures or some form of poly painting then?

You know you guys could just make a standalone program! (HINT HINT) With the kinds of amazing prices you guys are charging, you would definitely make Algorithmic over there a little nervous. When I saw the freelancer pricing you had, I literally grabbed for my wallet.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Goeddy Is there a way to extract Quixel material textures to use them in Mudbox?

DDO basicly only uses tilable textures that it puts on your texturemaps, tints using a certain color and then masks off all undesired areas.

so to get the material you just have to disable the layermask in photoshop, isolate that layer and save that out.

then when you projected that, you have to copy the projected texture over to your spec and gloss aswell and corect the levels so they are aligned with the rest of the map.

i would not recommend doing this inside the DDO project psd but rather after you are finished with DDo in a separete psd.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final flight - Ddo will ship with a standalone starter pack from Megascans in the next release :) But its possible to extract textures from DDO right now, create a project in 2048x2048 select the megascan of your choice and use the exporter extract them, that is if you cant wait :)

@nwopolygonshapeshifter - sorry i got confuesed a bit i should have been more clear, it wont be "painting" in that sense It will be more of avoiding probems at the seams rather than painting them out. So you wont be able to get textures tiling across seams, but dynamask details will fade out closer to the seam, making them less noticable.
    To get textures to tile across seams, the uv have to be planned for it.

Sorry for any confusion, and great to hear that you like our prices :)

Goeddy thanks again for your help :)
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    @nwopolygonshapeshifter - sorry i got confuesed a bit i should have been more clear, it wont be "painting" in that sense It will be more of avoiding probems at the seams rather than painting them out. So you wont be able to get textures tiling across seams, but dynamask details will fade out closer to the seam, making them less noticable.
    To get textures to tile across seams, the uv have to be planned for it.

That won't really work for some hard geometric shapes where you have no choice but to split your UVs along an edge to prevent distortion but still need texture to cross the seam (such as paint worn off of metal along the hard edge).

It looks like we'll still have to use *painting package of choice* to augment DDO with a workflow like Goeddy was saying.

For other use cases where you're not stuck with that constraint, however, 'avoiding problems at the seams' will definitely be helpful so I'm excited for that update. :)

OT: Yes, pricing good. Me like pricing. :poly128:
  • nwopolygonshapeshifter
    CKohl wrote: »
    That won't really work for some hard geometric shapes where you have no choice but to split your UVs along an edge to prevent distortion but still need texture to cross the seam (such as paint worn off of metal along the hard edge).

It looks like we'll still have to use *painting package of choice* to augment DDO with a workflow like Goeddy was saying.

For other use cases where you're not stuck with that constraint, however, 'avoiding problems at the seams' will definitely be helpful so I'm excited for that update. :)

OT: Yes, pricing good. Me like pricing. :poly128:

I'd be curious what you use as your primary painting package of choice? Ive tried mudbox but the issue I see here is simultaneously affecting all layers at once. My biggest concern here would of course, be the normal map layers which have a drastic effect on shading.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    I'd be curious what you use as your primary painting package of choice? Ive tried mudbox but the issue I see here is simultaneously affecting all layers at once. My biggest concern here would of course, be the normal map layers which have a drastic effect on shading.

i use mudbox for this, its just the quickest way for me.

the normal layers that ddo creates are usually rather subtle, so you can just paint out the effects with a flat normal color for the seam area and then merge that with your ddo created normal layer, so you still got your original baked normals below.

you could use mari to paintproject onto multiple channels at once, but mari is extremely expensive so most studios don't use it.
    the other alternative would be substance painter i gues, but i havn't tried that yet, so i don't know if that works well or not.
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    I use Mudbox as well. It's not always perfect, but it's what I know.
  • osakanone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping to be able to pair Quixel with MeshFusion for very very rapid drafting and background scene assets but DDO's phobia of mesh seams is a giant headache.

5IDwtrq.png

>M-Muh seams
    >2015

Like it was said before: I don't mind fixing the seams myself but doing it across multiple layers is a giant headache because there's no reliably fast way of editing multiple layers or even documents in exactly the same way at exactly the same time.

This issue of seams, if I'm honest, is the single major flaw of the entire package and the one thing I want fixing the most. I'm very disappointed.

As stated before: From the technical limitations you've described, texture projection onto the mesh itself seems ideal for solving the seams: Just projecting feathered images along the seams specifically to plug up the gaps where they're detected. Its crude but it would probably work in 99% of cases.

The Only Way to Avoid UV Seams You can spend all day making low-compression UVs. And I mean all day which let's be honest: Nobody wants to do that. Time is money: I use your software because it saves me time which makes me money and because it empowers me as an artist. You can nip this in the bud guys, come on: I'd be happy to buy an entirely new licence as a sort of big "3.0" leap for DDO just for this specific problem to be fixed.
  • currve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    currve polycounter lvl 3
    You can use the seam termination in dDo?! With this option activated - you find the seam terminator when you open up dDo and under the maps you can specify some options. This will fix it!
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    That's odd osakanone, how much UV padding are you using?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As Currve says, seam termination enabled should solve this, it was made specifically for cases like this!