Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] – Mace – Spiked Mace

mod
Hey guys, I started some work on my other item, kind of ping-ponging between it all, and I have more time now, so I should be able to show a lot more progress daily now.

This one is a mace for the Man-At-Arms class. I started it a couple days ago and picked it up again today, here's the progress thus far !

first things first is the concept, provided by the lovely yet still somehow talented Pior:
GG9aArYLhuF1syYn

I liked this one due to it's simplicity and silhouette. It felt brutal enough to spend my time on.

After receiving, I blocked out promptly:
rxr2jsFvwW8LDCVS

then found the correct scale so the tip and handle matched as it should:
2chaIsXsaAUBgwJ1

before sculpting, I wanted to see how the import process worked, so I went to bind it, but found there was some issues!

kNfPmhts92gKVWIy

It was just too dang big. After shooting back and forth with pior, he noticed the scale difference (2.54 is what the bones were set at) was similar to inches/cm conversion. At first I tried setting the bones' scale to 1, but then it wouldn't let me rig the mesh to the bones any longer.

Instead, I tried exporting the FBX as inches instead of cm, and when importing again it worked !
cHH16emzdMLTEA3g

After seeing it in game I was then pumped to continue the journey. I'm used to sculpting much more prominent details so this was actually an exercise in restraint:

39FNwVQhRvlVwWlx

I plan on flipping the spikes around, so one set of them should be fine, the different angles after flipping will take care of it looking repeated.

I then set up my package and materials properly in Unreal, did my bakes, and took another look inside the engine:
S6pLNA9kZqywWurG

looking good so far, can't wait to texture this bad boy.

thanks for looking !!

Replies

• Magicspook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking at the damage type this might be better as being a morning star conversion (which does blunt/pierce damage) rather than a mace (which does blunt damage). As you probably know, your model has spikes, which would pierce rather than smash.

Oh, and the mace is one of the fastest weapons (faster than broadsword) due to it not having a lot of mass (it's got flanges instead of a head). your weapon looks really heavy and I wouldn't expect it to swing nearly as fast as the mace.

I like the model though :)
  • Imperium101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magicspook wrote: »
    looking at the damage type this might be better as being a morning star conversion (which does blunt/pierce damage) rather than a mace (which does blunt damage). As you probably know, your model has spikes, which would pierce rather than smash.

Oh, and the mace is one of the fastest weapons (faster than broadsword) due to it not having a lot of mass (it's got flanges instead of a head). your weapon looks really heavy and I wouldn't expect it to swing nearly as fast as the mace.

I like the model though :)

I totally agree. All has been said :)

Good luck,

TheMightyKnight

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140143