Home Adobe Substance

More nature substances?

armagon
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
armagon polycounter lvl 11
I'm planning to use substances for a few materials in my current project, but the thing is that most of the project is terrain: rocks, trees, grass, water, etc. Are there any good sources for creating good looking nature substances? The ones i found on Allegorithmic's website look too fake for terrain stuff. And i didn't want to use too many bitmaps.

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Those materials you mentioned are pretty complicated things to create. I doubt there is any 100% procedural 2d solution that would look not fake.
    You need rather normal 3d soft where you could scatter objects, hairs using procedurals as blending masks maybe and then bake altogether into a texture with a proper cage/envelope set up.
    IMO it's only way to get something looking natural.

In fact you need to render a few fragments and then compose them together in 2d soft that would support depth channel blending. Unfortunately there is no such a software currently on the market that would allow to do it easily and conveniently . Maybe something in between Zbrush 2,5 d mode, last Photoshop and maybe Fusion. You could try so in Substance designer too but it would be a pain in the a...
    Maybe some day a kind of vector 2d soft would appear that would work perfectly well for texture composing, Something like Xara + depth mixing.

As of the fragments, for things having no grass or lot of small bits on the surface I would suggest photogrammetry currently. There is one cheap soft - Photoscan . It works pretty well. nothing looks more natural than Mother Nature itself. Just do not try to scan too big fragment
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Substances work best, i've found, when you combine them with artwork. Feed in sculpt data, play with FX maps and generally feed it more information to work with than just procedural systems.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    It depends how deep into Substance you want to get. I agree with Chimps approach, definitely if you're just starting out. But if you are determined to make it all procedurally, it is possible, it will just take a long time and a lot of determination :).

Do you have any examples of some of the surfaces you are trying to create?
  • armagon
  • FrancisR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrancisR polycounter lvl 2
    For the first texture example you could basically take a few rock textures, blend them together and extract height and normal information. Then, make a Moss substance and blend those two together with a noise mask for example.

That way, you end up with two nice substances that can be reused in other projects.
  • FrancisR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, none of those substances seem that hard to do. You just need to get comfortable with a parametric approach. Generally it's easier to get into it if you break down the different elements of the substance you're doing.

The sand pebbles substance is also basically a sand material with pebbles placed on top. Two substances blended together with a mask giving you a third.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    As linked above, we have TONS of nature materials on GameTextures, we have plants, grass, trees, bark, lots of ground textures.

http://gametextures.com/natural.html

There's a good starting point! Let me know if you have any questions about them :)
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why the non-sensical spam? What a loser.

This is a thread about substances, not textures. I just used your links to illustrate the kind of texture i'm trying to create with pure substances.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    armagon wrote: »

Eaaasy, cowboy. There's no need for insulting. Seaseme simply posted a link to comparable materials. I don't think he meant it in a spammy way, seeing as how you already linked to some of their work.
  • FrancisR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I kind of feel dumb helping someone so hostile. Saeseme didn't do anything wrong.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11

This is a thread about substances, not textures. I just used your links to illustrate the kind of texture i'm trying to create with pure substances.

It irks me seeing how hostile you respond to someone who is clearly trying to help you.

This is Polycount, this is not the place to hurl insults at someone who is taking time out of their day to help you.
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's not trying to help me, just clearly spamming. I'm sorry if i sounded rude, though.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    He's not trying to help me, just clearly spamming. I'm sorry if i sounded rude, though.
    Dude, are you high? You linked to textures from the website that he owns and you are calling him a loser and a spammer for posting other examples of similar work from the same site. It's even in his sig, man. Remember that the games industry is a very small place and it's easy to get blacklisted real fast if you are a rude entitled douche.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.