Home General Discussion

when do use modular art

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
halldor polycounter lvl 6
I did know where to put this.
Here it goes I was just wondering where to use modular peaces
I have pretty strong idea about it but im not sure.

I would use modular peaces in interior only
I would use modular peaces in skyscraper or similar

But I was thinking about making suburb/country house
Similar to this suburb.jpg

Should I use modular method if so how would you go about. ?

Or should use tillable textures and make texture map for windows doors. Etc on the same map and do
polypaint overlay.

Replies

• halldor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    halldor polycounter lvl 6
    i forgot to say i want to make it both inside and outside
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    modular is for any repetitive assets or stuff you can recycle I guess.

In this case:

The windows, the garage doors,etc.

Hardest part is to make them match but with good planning, modular should work here..
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    You need to think about WHY we use modular workflows in games development, it will inform WHERE to use it.

There is a lot of work to do for a project, and generally we have precious little time to complete said work in. We also have budgets for unique textures and such, how can we BALANCE these things?

It's about finding balance between what can be used repeatedly and what deserves to be unique.

Modularity can be quite shallow, or it can extend very far indeed - some games are almost entirely modular, some projects are almost entirely unique and some strike a balance between the two.

So from here, you need to decide how much time you are going to dedicate to the project, what your technical limitations are and from there you can begin to figure out what deserves to be unique and what makes sense to be reused.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    In addition to what Blond said, bushes and trees could be modular, small plants, and don't forget tileable textures. Done properly, the siding of the house, roof, grass, and driveway could all be tileable textures, even if their respective meshes are not.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Chimp said.

Whats the purpose of the house...are you making an entire block of them? Do you see being able to reuse the little window pieces enough times to make it worth the effort?

Truthfully, if I was making just this house...I'd just model the whole thing and use tiling textures for the siding etc.