Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_4.jpg
Screenshot_5.jpg

Replies

• radm0bile
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radm0bile polycounter lvl 9
    I thought I was looking at reference images quickly at first! Love the reflection and lighting.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Insanely good, as radm0bile said, looks like it is the reference photos. Supreme work!
  • fairbanks3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fairbanks3d polycounter lvl 5
    I also thought I was looking at reference imagery at first glance. I'm very curious to know how you achieved such realistic lighting. The scene looks and feels cold and wet. I really have nothing but praise for this one. Thanks for sharing!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    That looks sweet, how did you do the meat ?

The metal textures are very lacking however. For most part they are very basic without any detail and no edge wear of any sort. The meathooks, the knife set, the H-pillars the rolling desks etc. The plastic bag and the envelope of the knifes break the illusion more however, the values look not right, and they are mere flat colors and normals, and the dark shadowing looks strange. Did you use global illumination ?
    Else a little ambient light could fix that. The top of the water canisters looks very sharp and artificial as well. The first impression is very nice however, but dont let the meat and reflections carry you : P
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    radm0bile wrote: »
    I thought I was looking at reference images quickly at first! Love the reflection and lighting.

Same here! Really great execution.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    The lighting is definitely really well done. If you could just get some Ambient Occlusion in there it would be amazing. The normal map on the wall is too strong in my opinion. Maybe reduce normals by half that contrast.
  • CatDixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great comments everyone, and for the suggestions :D I'm really pleased with how its going so really appreciate that. Really want to push it as far as I can.
    Shrike wrote: »
    That looks sweet, how did you do the meat ?

The metal textures are very lacking however. For most part they are very basic without any detail and no edge wear of any sort. The meathooks, the knife set, the H-pillars the rolling desks etc. The plastic bag and the envelope of the knifes break the illusion more however, the values look not right, and they are mere flat colors and normals, and the dark shadowing looks strange. Did you use global illumination ?
    Else a little ambient light could fix that. The top of the water canisters looks very sharp and artificial as well. The first impression is very nice however, but dont let the meat and reflections carry you : P

Hi Shrike thanks for the constructive comments :)

the meat first :)

1.Modeled and unwrapped in Max

2.Texture -In ZBrush I projected a series of images front and back on each side of the meat and then did a paint over correcting the ugly stretching, and filling in parts I either didn't have or where the resolution wasn't holding up

3.Next I sculpted the detail to match the muscle forms and added fatty uneven patches with RGB and a combination of the clay tools and dragging alphas

4.I then another full paint over etc for the second set of textures.

5.For the Material I took the blue channel and adapted this for a lerp on the roughness take some gloss off the fat, and finally set up the vertex paint with the second set of textures.

Ah the metal yes I think i've lost some of the detail in the lighting, I've got welds wear and some splatter on them but maybe I could go further. I didn't want to go rusty but maybe that would have brought the wear out somewhat.I'll look at the roughness some more too, and getting some larger more obvious wear in. I'll hunt down some more reference, currently what I have is all quite clinical.

Screenshot_11.jpg

Screenshot_21.jpg

I used global illunintaion, but then upped the contrast with a post process volume to get a more Guy Ritchie look, I'm sure a fill light would help to fix that. In UE4 I've found it really hard to stop blacks getting washed out, a fully glossy black comes out as your would expect jet black, but a fully matt black comes out distinctly grey. Ill have a look at the materials again as I think thats contributing to the plastic and knife envelope jarring as you mentioned.

The tops of the containers are rimmed with steel around the rim, but ill have a look at changing that
    dpadam450 wrote: »
    The lighting is definitely really well done. If you could just get some Ambient Occlusion in there it would be amazing. The normal map on the wall is too strong in my opinion. Maybe reduce normals by half that contrast.

I've tried to be light handed with the AO but I really want to have everything feel grounded so I appreciate where you are coming from. The walls are probably cranked a bit because of the contrast, so I might take a little off, they are quite rough anyway though so I don't want to lose that.

Thanks Again

Cat
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Insane! :) It's perfectly executed. You even didn't avoid anatomy, in an enviro ;)

I'd like to see more such places in games - no crates, pipes, not cliche. Real topic, though chosen carefully (its essence distilled) so it would be a great, strong environment for a SWAT game, Hitman, murder investigation.
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    scrolling down " a lot of references in here " .. scrolls back up to read .. O.O " no way "
    thats all i gotta say
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome and very original! :)
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I love it! I'm especially a fan of the unconventional setting.

The one thing that jumped out at me was the cardboard box -- the material definition isn't really there, and it was jarring simply because everything else is so well done.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQqxhymiaOT8PGRwx6TH-jZyPEJjc28SqQ3-buFSupVfqZWwbF

impressive........most impressive.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, upon first glance I really thought that first shot was a ref photo.

Would love to see some texture flats for this...especially for those hunks of beef.

One critique I have, which was touched on lightly by someone else, is that aside from the pooling blood and the chunks of meat...I feel like the rest of the area is not quite there. You have some nice quality props, like the knife set, and the chair...but other things seem to be not at the same level. Especially some of those square metal bars on some of your props with smoothing errors. Also the way the walls meet in the corner...it looks like maybe the texture is stretched a bit and there is such a hard seam in that corner. Softer lighting in that area might help fix that.

Also, in the area with the chair, duffel bag, etc...it really feels like all of your props are floating...nothing feels seated on the floor. Again, first impression is that this is due to how its lit.

What could be cool is if you kinda made the space feel a little more eerie. It gives off a creepy vibe...but the room is so bright that its really not scary to me. Maybe have the meat lit up a little brighter, but have a pocket of darkness near the chair....just to make that space feel very ominous.

I feel like you are like...70 percent of the way there. Finish it up :D
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    dat fucking reflections. Jesiz. Might wanna use some more hard edges on some of your bakes though.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    the hell O____________O

what did u render that with? O_O

amazing
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, thought the top image was a picture. Nice work.
  • Wulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    there are def moments where im almost positive its a photo... well done.
  • freddie27117
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is amazing man
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Wow O_O Genuinely got fooled too, thought those were photos for reference.
  • Gluntronics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same here, scrolled down after the first two images started loading to get past the "reference images" haha.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The only thing that's really bothering me is the sharpness of those shadows which I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned. The lighting is great but the shadows are eeh.

Looks like either everything is a dynamic sharpened shadow map, and the parts that throw me off are how all of the edges of every shadow are about the same straight sharpness/ there doesn't seem to be an apparent blur happening based on the distance from the light source.

If it's dynamic shadows then maybe you could try tweaking the sharpen filter and distance/bias settings.

If it's actually baked shadows then perhaps you can tone down the resolution of some of your lightmaps, I found that if I set some of my lightmaps too high in UE4 the shadows become too perfect/solid in nature. I realize that shadows in real life that overlap like that do occur, and maybe it's just my personal preference but I find too much shadow overlapping can be distracting, especially on a well lit white wall.

Other than those minor shadow quibbles, looks awesome, the first photo did fool me for a second in thinking it was ref!
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    this makes me hungry...

that's it im breaking out the grill
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    texture breakdown of those meat pieces please :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I feel like the meat looks like a photo just slapped on a model, have you tried experimenting using some subsurface scattering?
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, really amazing work. Love the lighting and metal.