Home General Discussion

Would you ever sell out?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
i8zXI7NNHr68S.jpg

If you're entering the game industry, I imagine there are many out there, like me, who actually want to make their own games at some point of your life.

So this has me wondering. Imagine one day, you are given the offer by a game publisher, to produce your very own game!

But before you get excited "there's a catch".

As your game gets greenlit, Mr. Publisher has a couple of "recommendations" for you to follow.

Say for example a Publisher likes your game so much, he wants you to annualize it, like Call of Duty. Would you do it?

Or, if you have an idea for an awesome female character, but the Publisher tells you "the game would sell better if she was half naked, with many outfits available for DLC" Would you go through with it?

On one hand, getting a game deal is probably a once in a life time opportunity. Especially if you want your game to be widely recognized on a console. Your only other option would be to fund it yourself or do a kickstarter. Both pale compared to Publisher money.

On the other hand, it would mean assimilating into an industry known for controversial practices. And once you accept, you are forever tagged with it.

Replies

• Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    I'd rather be just scratching by and loving what I'm making than wealthy and having to do shitty DLC and some crappy annualized game.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    yup, i'd sell out. Coming up with game ideas isn't difficult. Getting them backed by a large company and actually becoming something is well worth it. So it turns into something I don't like, so what. I'll be credited as the creator and move on to something else. Anyhoo, There people at work doing this every day, they are called Game designers. ;P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, the type of games I want to do are totally doable on a small budget. Mo' money, mo' problems!

I'm working in the game industry right now anyway, so I've already sold out.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Would I sell an idea for a butt load of money if it allowed me to walk away from it without financial stress for many years? Yes.

Would I butcher the idea with my own hands at the pull strings of folks with money, continuously over time? No.

If I'm going to do what you say for any extended period of time, it's going to be because either A: You're compensating me fairly, AND you respect my opinions in relation to the work which I care about, or B: It's work I simply don't care that much about and I'm being compensated well enough to have that balance out (in which case it isn't my idea and there's nothing to sell).
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I would sell out :P It would look so good on my resume. Then I don't have to worry about it ever again.

And I would develop my own games on my own time. Whenever I have had enough, I guess.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've turned down jobs that would have looked good on my resume, I'm not in it for the prestige :P
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I wouldn't sell out in cases such as making characters half naked, but I totally would if, say, I started a company and had a really good buyout offer. So my minimum price is somewhere higher than "steady salary" and somewhere below "ridiculous billions".
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Depends on the amount of money, really.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Once someone knows your bought...they treat you like they own you.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    low odor wrote: »
    Once someone knows your bought...they treat you like they own you.
    That's why you hold out for the buy out.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    the likelyhood of a game getting annualized by a single developer is improbable. even call of duty/battlefield is on a 2-3 year development cycle, between multiple development studios. and even at that, i dont think agreeing to make a yearly release of a game is selling out. there's nothing morally compromising about an annual release, or inclusion of dlc for a product.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I worked with someone who gave up one of their great game ideas...in a pitch setting....The Studio promptly turned it into a Free to play, DLC driven shooter..stripping out the soul of the game and just using the aesthetic...I think he won 1k as a prize..then got laid off like the rest of the studio...true story
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Oniram wrote: »
    the likelyhood of a game getting annualized by a single developer is improbable. even call of duty/battlefield is on a 2-3 year development cycle, between multiple development studios. and even at that, i dont think agreeing to make a yearly release of a game is selling out. there's nothing morally compromising about an annual release, or inclusion of dlc for a product.

"Sell out" in this case means intentionally gouging for money instead of going for meaningful improvements.

Take for example, Guitar Hero. The first game was very revolutionary. But then they kept producing sequel after sequel until they ran the franchise to the ground.

Or for DLC, look at the Dead or Alive series. The first games gave you lots of costumes and they were all free. In DOA5, the costumes now cost 1/4th of the actual game for each bundle.

Admittedly, the costumes have a lot more work put into them, but it's obvious it's now turned into a money venture. Just copy/pasting textures and selling them.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I'm ready to down-size and do indie game dev full-time. My passion is creating games, not just game art.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Still gonna sell out :P
    Say, I been forced to make half naked chicks for games with EA funding.
    Then when I make good money off it and do something on my own without half naked chicks, then all media will praise me for finally listening to the fans and dressing them girls up. Good marketing/PR plan ?
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Yes.

Well, depends on the money.

But still yes.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Would you ever sell out?
    lolololololol

My entire career consists of selling my art skills for cash. Asking if I'd sell out is like asking if I'd like to breathe today.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I don't think "sell out" is a great term because you have to keep in mind, developers still get a lot of control over a project even if a publisher forces their input into the game, and I'm sure even if something was annualized, the devs would learn to have fun making the games.

I wouldn't like to make the same type of game every year, but I'd gladly accept a contract where I'd acquire long-term financial stability because once that contract expires I can always go back and realize my own ideas later. In fact, I'd have more money saved up so it would be even easier to create my own game since I could probably support myself for a while without having to work a full-time/part-time job on the side.

At the end of the day though, I just want to make an enjoyable game. My current project has been expensive in terms of both personal finances and personal time, and it's not even going to be monetized when I'm done, but I don't care because I enjoy working on it and hopefully at least one other person on the planet has fun playing it when it's done.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    This really depends on what the deal with the publisher is like. There's no mention of how much money you're getting to make the game from them, if it's spread out over multiple titles, or has some other clause that could ruin your company later, like a buyout clause.

Those things are probably more important than whether you annualise a title.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I would sellout, imagine the economical freedom you would have to make what ever you want after that.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Yes.
    Take a lot of money, suffer for few years, and then make my dream game (;.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Haha, if you work in the game industry as an artist you automatically "sell out" and it's not a bad thing. This is how most AAA games are made.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It'd depend on the publisher. Would take an awful lot of cash for me to work under the jackboot of some of the ones I've dealt with in the past.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I would sell out simply because it would make me enough money and hopefully I push a idea people like, plenty of "sell outs" have made games people enjoy, and that's the idea at the end of the day, but I don't have a shallow well of ideas, I have ideas from everything ranging from action rpgs to theme park/prison architect style games and strange ethereal interactive art pieces.

My money well is shallow and my ideas well is deep, if a small bucket of ideas were to fill the money pool it would be ideal in all regards.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    If a publisher says: "make your very own game", but with TOTAL artistic/design freedom, then my reply would be yes.

BUT, If the publishers is one of those with"recommendations", i would say NO. BTW, the correct word is: impositions. So at the end, i would not sell my soul to the devil and i don't recommend it lol.

I also have declined very very very good joob offers (as Art director for example, or lead character artist), and i prefer to live with freedom. I choose what i want to do (works, projects, etc) and i don't need to relocate nor waste money like Nomads do.

What i would like to do, is what notch did with Mojang, and then, say: bye bye, sayonara.