Home Freelance Job Postings

PC Racing Game developer looking for freelance Environment Artist

Reiza Studios is currently looking for a freelance 3D Environment Artist. We are a PC racing simulator developer looking for an artist capable of creating high quality Track Side Objects and also texture and map them.

For reference of the type of work required please check the screenshots in this website: www.game-stockcar.com.br

3D ENVIRONMENT ARTIST REQUIREMENTS

· Available for 20-30h man hours per week over the next 8-12 weeks.

· Develop textures for in-game environments including diffuse maps, normal maps, specular maps, Ambient Occlusion maps, detail maps and transparency maps

· Word closely with the Terrain Artists to ensure the objects match the environment

· Able to closely recreate the real life objects from the provided reference material.

· Use 3ds Max to model and create the UV mapping.

· Have an understanding of shaders to make use of the available options.

We offer an hourly rate of US$ 20 - the artist is expected to keep a log sheet of the hours and invoice us for it at the end of each month via Paypal. There is a high probability of extra work beyond this initial period so interest / availability in continuing onboard for a longer run is a plus.

If you are interested in the job given these conditions, we kindly request you to take the following test:

Download this file - in it you´ll find a set of instructions for producing the kind of TSO we require. This should take you no more than a few hours. You should then kindly submit the result for our evaluation - this will be the main criteria for our selection. The result should be submitted to jobs@reizastudios.com along with your resume / portfolio.

We are looking to evaluate submissions over this coming weekend (27/28 Sept).

EDIT: The position has been filled, if you are partway through the test however we still welcome your results for a potential future opportunity.

Replies

• nadgarcia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nadgarcia polycounter lvl 4
    do you accept someone who uses Maya and will export as FBX or OBJs and can be viewed on 3Dsmax? Thanks!
  • Reiza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paq-Man & Nadgarcia,

Unfortunately not as that means adittional workload and you cannot set up our materials properly that way.
  • Robbie222
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robbie222 polycounter lvl 3
    At least have the decency to reply emails , if you are going to ask people to spend 8 hrs for a test.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Robbie222 wrote: »
    At least have the decency to reply emails , if you are going to ask people to spend 8 hrs for a test.

Asking people to spend eight hours on a test prior to doing any sort of portfolio and resume screening is inherently pretty dubious.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Not really, the other way of looking at it is, do the test, show some level of commitment, then you are worth talking to.

Splash damage had exactly the same deal a few years ago iirc.

And as for the portfolio thing, well, a lot of people complain they dont get a look in, because they send a portfolio and never hear any word back. Well, this is those peoples chance. Do a good test, and youre in the running, its very simple.

However, if i did do the test, I would expect a reply whether successful or not. Anything else would be rude.
  • Robbie222
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav wrote: »
    Not really, the other way of looking at it is, do the test, show some level of commitment, then you are worth talking to.

Splash damage had exactly the same deal a few years ago iirc.

And as for the portfolio thing, well, a lot of people complain they dont get a look in, because they send a portfolio and never hear any word back. Well, this is those peoples chance. Do a good test, and youre in the running, its very simple.

However, if i did do the test, I would expect a reply whether successful or not. Anything else would be rude.

Maybe I didn't explain properly.

It's been a week since I sent the test I have spent close to 8 hours on. Now whether they liked it or not, they should have the decency to spend 5 mins at tops and reply even one line just out of respect for the interest shown.

Time is valuable for everyone.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Agreed, give it a little more time, a week is not that long
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. I would give it two weeks minimum. Standard practice, 2 weeks after your submission send a short polite email like:

"Hi, I sent my art test on X date, please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. I would love to work with you!"

If they don't reply, then you're not the right fit for them. I agree it's impolite. But not uncommon.

It's best to be constantly moving forward, not waiting for any single opportunity. We have some good advice on our wiki, for how to approach all this: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry
  • Robbie222
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. I would give it two weeks minimum. Standard practice, 2 weeks after your submission send a short polite email like:

"Hi, I sent my art test on X date, please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. I would love to work with you!"

If they don't reply, then you're not the right fit for them. I agree it's impolite. But not uncommon.

It's best to be constantly moving forward, not waiting for any single opportunity. We have some good advice on our wiki, for how to approach all this: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry

Thanks for the advice.
  • Reiza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank for everyone who submitted results - we will get back to you once we´re through our evaluation.