Home General Discussion

General questions about 3d game artists.

First of all Hello everyone. I am 20 years old and i just completed my studies. And now i am planning to be 3d environment artist for games. I have no background in arts so i will be starting everything from scratch. So i have few questions.

a. How big of a difference there is in modeling environments for games and doing the same for CGI trailers, movies etc.

b. What are the software which are widely used for designing environments for games? As far as i know Maya and Zbrush is quite necessary for modeling characters these days, But is this the same with environment design as well?

c. Should i even learn character modeling or should i just pay more attention and spend more time in learning environment design. Should i even care about character designs and instead put my time into learning environment designing.

d. And what are the books or anything i should read to get a better idea at what i am doing.

At last, any kind of advice would be amazing as i am just starting out and want to learn more about anything related to this field. Thank you.