Home Quixel Megascans

Using just the normal map and Hi-Lo Filter in DDO

Hi I'm currently trying to make a tyre in DDO.

Firstly I can't seem to find a way to generate an edges mask just from the normal map. I assume that it is all wrapped up in the curvature but I think it would be nice to have an item in the list for just normal edges. The curvature map adds too much other stuff into it for my liking. This is unless I am missing something.

Secondly I am trying to find a way to differentiate the high (elevation) from the low elevation from the normal map. The reason for this is I want to add wear specifically to the tread and dust to the low areas. I know that you can specify edge and cavity in the curvature layer but what i really need is just the high and low. Is there a way to do this just from the normal map?. Or do I need another map in the mix such as a height map?. Is this possible even with that?.

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The curvature map is automatically created from the normal map, when you enter the dynamask editor there are some presets there just for finding edges for instance. So it should work just like you describe that you want it!

A height map is automatically generated from the normal map, if you activate it in the dynamask and use it to mask the highs and lows with different blending modes :)

Hope this helps, let me know if something is unclear or if you have more questions!
  • TJTAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Thanks for the response.

The issue I'm having with the curvature map is that it has too much extra in it rather than just the edges. If I choose the tightest edges and adjust the settings in the curvature to remove the med-huge values there are still blooms which have nothing to do with the normal. For me personally it would be better to have the option to choose either to use the curvature or to use just a pure normal map function.

I will check what you are saying about the Heightmap but I couldn't find it in the list in the Dynamask editor.

Another thing I notice that is missing from the Legacy dDo which I used a lot is Direction. This would be very handy to have in the Dynamask editor.

Addendum. You were right about the heightmap being in the Dynamask editor but there it is called displacement. This is what confused me.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you use "Curvature" In the Dynamask editor and disable all but "Sharp" you will only get the edges!

Sorry, i should have specified that i meant displacement, sometimes i confuse even myself!

Direction is someting we´re looking in to bringing back from legacy dDo, it would sure be a nice addition to the suite :)