Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

<Student> Texturing crate

Right, so I'm a student doing a foundation degree in Game Art. I enjoy the drawing and 3D modelling,I have recently taught myself how to rig, but my main flaw is texturing.

As you can see in the render of the crate and the 512 unwrap (I didn't finish the barrel), it's a hand painted texture, but obviously for games standards today, its about suitable for Runescape, anyone able to offer some advice?

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Do you have any references? Some style your trying to match. Its a good Idea to pick a few different types and use them to reference color and tone.
  • The Divided
    Ahh..not really, I looked at a couple crates and just set off, adding in the scuffs and marks where I thought they'd work. As it came to making the crate more realistic, I did check out wooden crates to see the wear & tear, but I just didn't know how to represent the scuffs and marks properly on my own crate.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    its about suitable for Runescape

lol, made my day :)

but I gotta agree with CarlK3D. get some reference and/or goal on what you want to achieve, its so much easier to move forward if you actually have somewhere to go.

find some pics on what style you want to do.
    from there people can give you a lot more guidance and advice. do you want it to be realistic, handpainted, celslhaded?

good luck!
  • CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    there are lots of different styles you could do for wood and lots of different games to reference them from.
    Example: DOTA 2, WoW, Diablo 3 and many more but these to me are the ones that stand out the most. Also there have been lots of different threads of people making amazing environments that include wooden objects.... as most do

Here is a small list of links to get you thinking about stylized textures if that's what you'd like to go for:
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4
    One of my own, less stylized
  • The Divided
    lotet wrote: »
    realistic, handpainted, celslhaded?

The task just for that was a handpainted texture, though I do try to go as realistic as I can, to do that all I can do is fliter and stuff :poly134:

But thank you guys, seeing how others have done it, (plus you) it gives me a small comparison of what others have done & next time, I'll make sure I have the references before I start!