Home Quixel Megascans

Question about applying a texture to just a certain area

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
Hey all, I was just wondering if there is a way to apply a texture to just one area of the uvs without relying on a mask in Ddo. Basically, I want to add a checkered paint area over the top of just one area that shares a material ID with other surrounding areas on a Warhammer 40K prop I'm doing.

Will I just need to do this in Photoshop solo after I'm done with the Ddo process??? And, will I need to manually overlay spec/gloss info on top of the Ddo generated maps manually as well??

Thanks and I hope this makes sense. I always wonder if my questions are even worded properly on a lot of topics in this field.

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Im not 100% sure I understand, maybe you can show me an example and I could probably show you the best way of achieving that :)
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Im not 100% sure I understand, maybe you can show me an example and I could probably show you the best way of achieving that :)

:D!
    I know, I suck at trying to explain something in 3D for some reason.

So here is a 3DO render I did. Please excuse the pretty horrible textures as of yet. I'm really trying to get subtle wear and grime, but so far it isn't going so well. Also, I feel like my mat seperation just sucks so far.

The piece highlighted in blue is what I want to put like a B/W checkered pattern on that is common for Orks in the Warhammer 40K universe. Problem is, it shares the same Id as the front shield marked with blue X, and some other pieces too. How can I just apply the pattern to that area without it showing on the others??? Will I just need to altar my ID's and give that one its own unique color??

Thanks, and I hope this is more clear than my previous attempt.

Damian

BuSnwH5.png
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problems, it can be really hard to explain :) I think the easiest way would be to separate the part where you want the checkered effect in to its own color on the id map. Then you just make a checkerd pattern in black and white and add that as a custom pattern. alternatively you make a very custom pattern where only the area where the "blue top" is checkerd, but that would make it pretty much unusable for any other texture.

So in this case i would separate the piece on the color ID, then make a checkered texture.

Let me know if anything is unclear, im not that good at explaining 3d myself :D
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric! I figured as much that a seperate ID was the way to go. So I just make a unique tex on my own with a norm and spec map, then create a custom mat inside Ddo right???
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You dont need a custom texture just a custom mask, but you can make a custom texture if you want to of course!

If you want to use the textures included in the suite you just make a checkerd white and black texture, add a new texure (i call it pattern or mask but technically its a texture) in the suite and put it in the albedo channel. All the materials in the "pattern" section are made this way. Then you use your new texture (mask/pattern) as a mask in the dynamaskeditor and make your material there :) hope this helps, leg me know if it doesnt!