Home Technical Talk

Using Zbrush Extract to make clothing mesh.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
StevenZer polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, I've been thinking about this after watching a Digital-Tutors course about character development in Zbrush and Maya. In that series he created the clothing separately in maya and then sculpted the details on it in Zbrush. But is it a bad workflow to just extract out the clothing from the character in Zbrush and sculpt details on it? I'm not sure if it's the right place to post this, but an answer to this will be really helpful and appreciated. :)

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I see nothing wrong with this method. In fact, if you do a solid anatomy sculpt on the base body, extracting the clothes and sculpting that on top of the body makes the most sense. With dynamesh and zremesher, you can always clean up geo so this should work just fine. There's no right way to do it...it's whatever you are most comfortable with. I've done it in maya and zbrush and both work well.
  • StevenZer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with this method. In fact, if you do a solid anatomy sculpt on the base body, extracting the clothes and sculpting that on top of the body makes the most sense. With dynamesh and zremesher, you can always clean up geo so this should work just fine. There's no right way to do it...it's whatever you are most comfortable with. I've done it in maya and zbrush and both work well.

Thanks for the Quick Reply :D Now i can go to sleep in peace. it's like the middle of the night here and i was just keep on thinking about it so much. xD So i posted this here. I really appreciate your help!!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say that big flowy things like robes might need some extra geo, but dynamesh can handle that, too, if you REALLY want to.
  • StevenZer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar wrote: »
    I'd say that big flowy things like robes might need some extra geo, but dynamesh can handle that, too, if you REALLY want to.
    Well you can totally use the topology tool inside Zbrush for that. :poly124: